VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Permanent And Total?

Rate this question

Ruffcreek

Question

I have been rated 100% Total for PTSD for the last five years and submitted a claim for P & T in July 2013. I received my rating decision recently and I am not 100% sure that I received P & T but am leaning towards thinking I am. The decision does not come out and specifically say that I have P & T but doesn't mention anything about future exam's either. Also the decision says I have basic eligibility to Dependents' Educational Assistance established from July 23, 2013. And it does say that basic eligibility to Dependents' Education Assistance is granted as the evidence shows the veteran currently has a total service-connected disability, permanent in nature. The decision doesn't mention anything about CHAMPVA although there is a seperate page attached with my name at the top describing various benefits for veterans including CHAMPVA.

I am wanting to believe they have rated me for P & T but don't want to get my hopes up and finding out that I have overlooked something.

Assuming I am P & T how do I go about signing up for CHAMPVA?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Thats how they say it.

Go to e benefits and look at your download letters. One of them sill say your disability is permenant. But guess what. You are P and T.

Chapter 35

Champ VA

mwr (commissary and exchange, stays at Shades of green, Discounted attraction tickets, and soon to be Space A travel.

Your wife is also eligible to get her co pays she has paid for medical and drugs back to your effective date. Note you have limited time to do this.

J

Just received my wifes ChampVA package today, I sent a one page application in approx. 2-3 weeks ago. They set her eligibility date back to Aug 1, 2013 (when I was awarded TDIU). Here is a link to the application but I'm surprised you did not receive one in your BBE.

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/apply.asp

You should have also received pamphlets discussing addition (optional) life insurance, Chapter 35 (education) benefits for dependents.

There should be a statement in the package somewhere that discusses your eligible to be reimbursed for any copays for meds retro back to your award date of TDIU. But.... you have to request it!!! I called the 800 number to get in touch with the finance and billing department and told them I would like to recoup some of this money since my effective date - tell them you would like them to perform an audit on your prescription copays and it should include travel reimbursements as well. As J said above, you need to do this right away - I don't recall what the time-frame was but I could see how many veterans could have missed out on this benefit. It will take at least 4 weeks to several months before there reimburse you.

Don't forget to check on any State/Govt benefits you may be entitled to due to T & P, I think there is a link on this board that will take you to your state's Veterans web page.

Congratulations!

Sounds like you are Permanent. I should be 100% very soon, due to recent C&P reports, and I hope it is Permanent. My SSDI was approved last week, and I hope it too is permanent. I just don't want to have to keep going up for Review every few months. Good luck