VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Attempting To Start A Business. Tdiu Procedure?

Rate this question

souldeliverer

Question

Hey, ya'll. I've had it.

First off, I'm going to try and start a business (real estate). I am currently 90% plus TDIU, SSDI, and FERS retirement. Please advise. DO NOT advise me not to do this! I am looking for the procedure to follow. I read about SSD ticket to work program. Does the VA have anything similar?

Second, if you pray to Jesus, please pray for me. I have been down and out since 2006, but want to give it a go before throwing in the towel for life. Pray I succeed, and can have meaning to life. It may start out as not substantial employment, but will hopefully one day transition into making a living to support my family.

Finally, you may ask why? For a couple reasons. For those of you who will never have the opportunity to work again. For my children (6,2), so they can learn that Daddy has to work for a living. Finally, for me. I must give it one last shot.

Again, please don't respond with all the usual, "You worked so hard to get IU, why throw it away." I just want to know if there is a procedure for this, or a ticket to work program. Any sort of grace period?

Thank you for your time and prayers.

• HadIt.com Elder

You might want to think about going through Voc Rehab or IL before you start this venture. I went down the Ticket to work road as I to was not ready to throw in the towel....My VA was pending at the time and I was facing another surgey...My VA came through P&T, and they followed the Ticket to work program in backpay, so I lost nothing.

No one here is going to tell you what you want to hear.....we have fought to hard to get our claims resolved. You know the pitfall of how this all works, you also know of the economic perils that this country is in, and the hurt many millions have found themselves in due to the job market. Knowing what I know now, I would have never took the risk I did..It was a futile attemped to discredit what I already knew.

I say good luck to you if you take this path..........You could just as well pick up a hobby that you could do with your kids and make good lil entrepreneurs out of them to show them hard work and risk nothing

• HadIt.com Elder

You could do what I did. First get your license. find some properties and buy them as rentals. Make it a family thing. That way the rentals are not counted as long as you do not actively manage them. You can pay an agency to do that or let the wife do it.

J

I'll certainly pray for you, and totally understand the situation you're in as a retired and homeschooling dad myself under the age of 50. It's tough. But your kids have you...and that's priceless.

I think if you research VA TDIU ADJUDICATING procedures, you will find Selfemployment discussed in detail. Once you are awarded TDIU any and all (earned income) will be looked at in regards to you, being (Gainfully EMPLOYED). Self-emplyment income (sheltered Employment) is supposed to be viewed differently than earned income from a regular job. You don't have to inform the VA of your self-employment intentions. If you can only work part-time due to your SC conditions and your net earned income is less than the Federal Poverty Income amount for 1 person, you shouldn't have a problem. I would advise you to apply nonlinear via EBenifits for Vocational Rehab Counseling. A letter stating you are not elegible for the program due to your SC's, to include Sedintary work, is great evidence for your C-File.

Good Luck-Semper Fi

• In Memoriam

Get a name for the business. This was the hardest part for me. Nothing can start without a name, beginning. Starting a businesss is much easier than ending one. Make sure the name is not in use.

Go to the bank and open an account. They will show you how to apply for a fiticious business statement. You will be assigned a federal ID number for several purposeses.