VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Any Sailors On Board-

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Men and women- if you were in an op or manuever while you were on board a ship in active duty status- would your DD 214 reflect all Battle Stars or Campaign decorations, etc, that the ship got during this time-while you were on it?

If not -why not?

If the ship got the PUC, that would have to be on all DD 214s right?

My point is- so many ships have gotten so many awards and decorations that- how could a ship get an award-that someone on it didn't get?

Does that make sense? or have I been sitting in the head too long?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Berta it depends on the exat location at the time of separation. For example, A Veteran who is getting discharged lets say in November and it is october 15. The ship goes out to sea and the sailor stays behind. He often hasd to go to base HQ personnel office to have his papers fileld out. That scenario may miss the ships awards. It should be easy for a Vet to go back and get his campaign information. The ships history will have it and all he needs to prove is that he was onbooard.

Edited by jstacy

For me to get the 10% tinnitus I had to prove we went to the "Sea Range" and fired the cannon. The service had no records at all. I am still working on claims that they (VA) said never happened because there is no log of it. OH my isn't our VA winderful? By the way Berta I plan on recinding the California Dept of VA and going with a local group. bill

Local group- hmmmm---

The Cal Division of Vet Affairs has some good info on the net-I guess the person who put it together is not a vet rep.

Thanks all- I see what you all mean as to ship awards-

I worked on a vet's claim today and accessed the ship he was on and it was destroyed-

Navy and Air Force blew it up-it had been damaged anyhow by hitting a coral reef- but became a Smart bomb target-

as experiment, and they sunk her -in the line of duty -in 2004- USS Schenectedy-

The ship was highly decorated- 4 Battle Stars Vietnam-etc-

Sad to see the pix of her going down -then again I bet that ship was full of asbestos!

• In Memoriam

Listening to the 'Season of the witch' (Guess it is a Donovan Day) right now. hehe 'You got to pick up ever stitch'

Veterans need to search every avenue, as Berta has said. Unit personnel men just may have what you are looking for. Maybe a service buddy, who got out a year after you, might have the awards or explanation of certain events. Don't count on the VA, CNO, FOIA, or DoD for any help at all.

Many Navy Units moved all around the US and the World (especially if you were in a cutting-edge squadron). This is kind of confusing for many reasons. Pesetas, pounds, threepence, Lira, Drachmas, Pesos, Hong Kong dollars and many more different exchanges in many different media as well as languages.

We went to: San Diego, Memphis Tenn., NAS Lemoore Ca., Fallon Nevada, Jacksonville Florida, Cecil ? Nas Florida, Virginia Capes, Mayport Florida, Virginia, Lebanon (no stop), Libya (no stop), Virgin Islands, Azores Pacific (no stop), Malta, Corfu Greece, Naples Italy, Athens Greece, France (didn't leave ship), Mayport Florida, NAS Lemoore, Fallon Nevada, NAS Lemoore, Alameda Ca., Hunters Point Ca., Hawaii, Tonkin Gulf, Honk Kong, PI, Tonkin Gulf, PI, Tonkin Gulf, a few others here, Hawaii, Hunters Point, several more forgotten, and NAS Lemoore. It was hard to keep up with us, even with the mail.

There was plenty of time for Squadrons to issue medals, but they did not follow-up. Navy, like the VA, is subject to DoD policy. This Bean-Counter policy, learned from disabled WW1 and WW2 Veterans who presented claims or ask for help.

The policy is to treat Veterans as individuals, and do not let them get together. Awards, commendations, and honors are thrown out the window, because they can show different campaigns, awards, and evidence for claims. This is an inside job the DoD performs against our Vets. Vets are left with remnants of their records, disinformation, misinformation, and obscurity.

Our Squadron yeoman, decided to be a yeoman for life. Thirty years latter, the scuttle butt is Randy, got all our stuff. Why did he keep it? WW2 vets taught him how the system operates outside. The Lifers knew, but had different objectives within their hierarchies.

I got the write up, for my MUC, from Randy (squadron yeoman) about a year ago.

NPRC only sent the DD-215 Upgrade (attached without my SS# or address - Look at the Date) recently. NPRC, made sure that it did not send the write-up from the, Sec. of Navy. Both the Award and the write-up, that Randy sent me, are attached. Many more NPRC records were altered or eliminated.

DD-214 only shows VSM, VN Camp, and ND. Commendations, about 6, all were removed from the NPRC file. Randy, said we were in three campaigns, but somebody only recognized 2 Campaigns. So what, I don't care, never did.

Once the Veteran understands what they are up against, then the Veteran has a chance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Max Cleland:

http://www.vawatchdog.org/old%20newsflashe...8-29-2006-1.htm

Max, has made a stand for Veterans as well as himself. I should say a sit, because Max Cleland has no legs and only one arm.

Many decades of struggle haven't eliminated his need for help. This is not about self-validation. This is about the truth, as he sees it, and the injustice done one way or another, to him as a Veteran. This is why Max is a hero of mine.