VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Personal Assault Ptsd

Rate this question

Guest jstacy

Question

I am in a claim delima, I have 5 claims pending at the Rating board and one just past the DRO process. I am contemplating filing for PRSD. There are 2 documented stressors and both are listed on the Servuce record and I also have logs. I was awarded Direct SC for the Neck Injury I sustained during one of the stressors and both stressors are related.

My delimma is this. Should I wait to file or do I need to go ahead. The other claims are some of the oldest in the VA system, according to the 800 number. If I file a new claim WIll the VA start from scratch again and cost me 2 more years.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Istacy

If the claims involve money then you probably should file to preserve your effective date. The only thing I worry about is the VA getting your claims mixed up and a possible delay. It happened to me and I only had two claims in at the same time. I live very close to the VARO so I was able to unscramble the mess but it was pathetic. The claims were completely different and yet they were sending letters to doctors from one claim and adding the information to the other claim. It was as if monkeys were doing it. One was a psychological claim and one was a dental claim but the VA managed to get them mixed up. I don't go to a psychiatrist to get my teeth fixed, and I don't go to a dentist for mental health therapy but the VA thought so!

And we are the ones who are disabled. That one ranks about a 10 on my VA stupid crap-a-meter.

I need to wait. I may file it as informal. I think the VA has special regs for Personal Assault.

I would go ahead and file if I were you. That way you establish your date for the retro. and also if any new laws pass you would fall under the old law because you already filed back then. If your claims are related they usually to my understanding do them at the same time.(or try to) For me I had several secondary claims and they did them all at once because they were all related also or secondary to the main claim.

also i filed a claim that was for assault and it came back chronic ptsd so maybe it could go either way. Maybe it just depends on how they decide they want to do it related to your secondary claims. Something probably to ask the VA REP for your area.

Tower, If you dont mind me asking how did you apply for the Assault? If need be, Please send me a PM. I was told by the DVA that a Vet could not file for an assault claim.