vlb-all-products.jpg

Get Every E-Book and Video with Member Discount Code HADIT2016

Popular Forums Common VA Disabilities

r88ster3

Help Please! I'm In A Pickle...i Think

Question

r88ster3    2

I really appreciate any input. So here's my deal. While I'm very blessed and thankful Ihave a job, I work for one of hte VA medical centers. I am currently 60% service connected for PTSD (50%) and Tinnitus(10%). I have been 'home' form my last deployment and active duty since 2003 and have been coming ot the VA since 2005. I have NEVER EVER answered yes to the MST screening questions. EVER. I was threatened and way to scared for such a long time. after I became service connected I ended up getting a job at the VA and was even more afraid to answer yes for the fact that anyone I work with has access to my file and trust me people snoop on anyone and everyone. So I've never told anyone about my MST while in Afghanistan. So here I am 11 years later and I can't stand not getting help for MST and I don't have the money to be seen for outside therapy. (please hold the assumption that i'm 60% I should be able to afford it) I'm still paying debt that my own mother created while I was deployed with my money so I simply can't afford it). Anyways. I'm in a tough spot. I cannot get Mental Health at the clinic I work at...b/c I work here- I can't and don't have the leave to take off to be seen at another clinic and I know way too many people in the entire VA whether its this clinic or another I don't want people looking thorugh my stuff if they already haven'ts. I really want to file for MST in hopes that my PTSD would be increased so that maybe I owuld have a chance at have a tiny bit of money to be seen on the outside of the VA. Can anyone offer guidence on this?! I want to answer yes so bad to the screening questions everytime I see my primary care provider who IS at the clinic I work at but I just can't. I've tried to pick up on things the MST group does together just by hearing about it and trying it myself in secret but it's not helping- I've tried pushing things away and I feel like I'm going ot explode!! Without offering too many nasty details when I deployed I may have been the only virgin that I knew of- but that was brutally taken from me. I was waiting for marriage ( I know very old fashion, right?!)- I had a boyfriend at the time waiting for me at home- 10 years later we got married- he's still by my side but trust me there's a reaason it took 10 years for us to get married- we have both dealt with this in our own ways. it's bene a xxxxxxx nightmare. It sounds really dumb but I want that virginity back- that was my first experience so it took a lot away from my husband and I's relationship. grrrrrrr. I guess my main concern.... is the VA going to be harsh on me in deciding my claim since I waited so long and never answered yes to the screening questions at the VA? to this day I've never answered yes. thanks!!

• Like 2

14 answers to this question

vistagirl81    6

You might be able to find some free support groups that are in your area. Local hospitals and community centers may have programs specifically pertaining to what you need. I am not sure about some of the other issues that you are having. Good luck.

john999    676

How about a vet center? You are going to need to answer "yes" to the MST question at some point. You will need that DX if you are going to get money. If you just want treatment I am sure you can get it, and the VA cannot stop you. Are you SC for PTSD now? The VA cannot deny you treatment for PTSD even if they have to have you seen outside the VA system. Both PTSD and MST are emotional disorders ,so you will not get a separate rating for both. Do you get treatment for PTSD at the VA? I think shame and denial are part of MST so I don't think that will be held against you. I think the hard part will be to prove with some sort of documentation that you were a victim of MST. I am not expert on this but the VA usually wants some sort of evidence.

r88ster3    2

I am 50% for ptsd and stopped getting treated at VA when I started working here- and only addressed combat stress issues- nothing about mst...

71M10    17

You need to bite the bullet and get into the treatment you have available to you for both your MST and PTSD. By not continuing your PTSD treatment and working (how are your performance reviews?) you might become a target for reduction.

I understand not wanting your medical care from the organization you are working for. I work with a medical school and do not see any of the doctors here. However, You need to take care of YOU first don't worry about what others think. Don't let fear keep you suffering alone, abusers and sexual offenders get lots of protection because of fear.

Remember, if you seek treatment and it comes out in the workplace (especially if from someone accessing your chart for entertainment purposes), with the right lawyer you will have plenty of money to be seen by the best clinicians. It would legally be a double wammy, violation of HRPA and could constitute a sexually hostile workplace.

63SIERRA    522

YES I agree, its time to take care of yourself., To hell with what the people at the VA think, ITS YOUR LIFE, NOT THIERS. Often we make our worlds very small, and we do this to ourselves, just closing things in on ourselves. I would ask to speak with thr hospital administrator and see what they come up with. Dont punish yourself any longer. It should be a huge weight off your shoulders.

carlie    48

I really appreciate any input. So here's my deal. While I'm very blessed and thankful Ihave a job, I work for one of hte VA medical centers.

I am currently 60% service connected for PTSD (50%) and Tinnitus(10%).

So you already have SC and a compensable evaluation for a mental health disorder.

I have been 'home' form my last deployment and active duty since 2003 and have been coming ot the VA since 2005. I have NEVER EVER answered yes to the MST screening questions. EVER. I was threatened and way to scared for such a long time. after I became service connected I ended up getting a job at the VA and was even more afraid to answer yes for the fact that anyone I work with has access to my file and trust me people snoop on anyone and everyone.

So I've never told anyone about my MST while in Afghanistan. So here I am 11 years later and I can't stand not getting help for MST and I don't have the money to be seen for outside therapy. (please hold the assumption that i'm 60% I should be able to afford it) I'm still paying debt that my own mother created while I was deployed with my money so I simply can't afford it).

Anyways. I'm in a tough spot. I cannot get Mental Health at the clinic I work at...b/c I work here-

I can't and don't have the leave to take off to be seen at another clinic and I know way too many people in the entire VA whether its this clinic or another I don't want people looking thorugh my stuff if they already haven'ts.

You are eligible for mental health treatment due to MST at your local Vet Center.

Your Vet Center records are not combined into your VAMC medical records, unless you request them to be included

or you get copies and submit the copies to your VAMC for inclusion.

www.vetcenter.va.gov

I really want to file for MST in hopes that my PTSD would be increased so that maybe I owuld have a chance at have a tiny bit of money to be seen on the outside of the VA. Can anyone offer guidence on this?!

First off - one DOES NOT submit a claim for MST.

MST is an "event" that can be the cause of a mental health disorder.

MST itself is not a diagnosis or a disorder.

Even if you were to submit a claim for increase in your PTSD, the MST itself

would be irrelevant.

VBA has already admitted you suffer a mental health disorder due to something on active duty.

They would not increase your compensation in any way - due to your going thru MST.

To get an increase in your current evaluation - VBA would apply the schedule of ratings criteria, to

any current medical evidence you might have to submit OR by you requesting an increase and them

scheduling a C&P examination.

I would like to suggest going to your local Vet Center OR possibly discuss with your provider at your VAMC for

PTSD care and treatment, that they submit a request for you to receive some mental health care

via a private provider and paid for by fee-basis.

want to answer yes so bad to the screening questions everytime I see my primary care provider who IS at the clinic I work at but I just can't. I've tried to pick up on things the MST group does together just by hearing about it and trying it myself in secret but it's not helping- I've tried pushing things away and I feel like I'm going ot explode!! Without offering too many nasty details when I deployed I may have been the only virgin that I knew of- but that was brutally taken from me. I was waiting for marriage ( I know very old fashion, right?!)- I had a boyfriend at the time waiting for me at home- 10 years later we got married- he's still by my side but trust me there's a reaason it took 10 years for us to get married- we have both dealt with this in our own ways. it's bene a fucking nightmare. It sounds really dumb but I want that virginity back- that was my first experience so it took a lot away from my husband and I's relationship. grrrrrrr. I guess my main concern....

is the VA going to be harsh on me in deciding my claim since I waited so long and never answered yes to the screening questions at the VA?

to this day I've never answered yes. thanks!!

VBA might not even consider this as a claim and most likely state you are already in receipt of SC compensation, for mental health.

jmho - carlie