VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia/ Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura

Rate this question

ArNG11

Question

I've been reading and trying to find resources for this condition. I just got hit with it out of the blue and it landed me in the hospital for 8 days or so. It got real serious and quite scary when they were talking about removing organs and constant blood and platelet transfusions. As there is no known specific cause for this disease it is difficult to research. Has anyone who has been to SW Asia, 2007-2008, had any problems with coming down with this? If so what treatment path did you take and how are you managing with the choices you made.

I developed ITP shortly after returning from Vietnam in 1968.  Was diagnosed in early 1970s and we watched my platelet count drop to zero and my doctor said, "You are going to the hospital right now!"  After a bone marrow tap to rule out leukemia it was decided to remove my spleen which was done.  After 3 weeks in the hospital my count went way up and has been usually over 300,000 since.  I have tried over the years to find a cause and finally just today stumbled on Dapsone which we were required to take daily for the year I was there.  I was a Lt leading a platoon of Infantry (3Bde, 25th Inf, 1/14th Bn).  After googling more about Dapsone and side effects I found this site.

We were always in mosquito infested areas so we took the anti malaria drugs religiously (well, except for one or two who wanted malaria to get out of the field)

I had not idea ITP was a VA ratable disease until reading this post!  My disabilities are other than ITP.  Where to go from here?  Back to the DAV? (good people).

Yes ITP is a ratable condition.  I will say it is a hard disease to service connect but not impossible.  You definitely need all the basic requirements for service connection and I dare say one heck of medical nexus for this disease.

I have researched some of the CAVC cases on this and it is possible to service connect. Just not an easy thing to do.

In my case the exposure route is an issue.  Although I was breathing all the great particles of the burn pits during my time in Iraq, I can't dismiss my 5 years or so of Aircraft Fuel exposure.  

It is listed under code 7705 in the CFR's along with some codes for procedures relating to the disease. 

I will let you know there are quite a few case studies on this.  Look for Benzene induced studies I was quite shocked.

Again as noted above a medical nexus is going to be needed along with the other criteria for service connection.  JMO

On September 11, 2015 at 10:22 PM, navysea7 said:

I too was in the Navy and served over in the Persian Gulf during the Gulf war.  During transit, we received many vaccinations and many became ill; including, myself within 24 hrs of receiving the vaccines.  I was diagnosed with Ido-Pathic Thrombocytopenia and discharged from the Navy.  I had my spleen removed and was given high dose steroids both IV and PO.  Later, I was placed on interferon and under went chemotherapy for the disease.  Because of the high dose steroids, I've been diagnosed with bi-lateral AVN and now I have to have both of my hips replaced.  I'm in constant pain and in a battle with the VA over pain meds and hip replacement surgery.  I never thought I'd find anyone else with this diagnoses.  Feel free to contact me if you need to discuss this disease in detail.

I have had hip problems too, but mine are mostly due to the vehicle accident I had in service and the humps while wearing body armor in-service.

I haven't read studies relating this to hip problems.  Although while in the hospital they did do several tests on my spleen and a nice old bone marrow withdrawal from the hips.  Ouch is all I can say about that.

I've been lucky thus far as my last episode was about two years ago but I understand your predicament.  They were talking about removing my spleen while I was hospitalized, however, I got lucky and the spleen checked out ok.

Personally I was on 80mg of steroids for quite a while.  I don't know if any of the issues I have had since then with my hips, and knees  are related though.  

Small world huh.  Good luck and I will definitely stay in touch.

N-Plate and about 10 platelet infusions was the treatment the hospital gave me before I was released from the hospital.  Now I just have regular blood draws to make sure my platelet count stays in the safe area.

Edited by ArNG11
timed out

I'm not sure if this post is still active however,, if it is, I too was diagnosed with ITP in 2008 just before retirement.  I served on a carrier during OEF and OIF and no exam or VA physician ever asked me about the link to the Gulf War.  I was service connected during treatment which lasted a year with a roller coaster ride of Prednisone and weight, anxiety, no sleep.  I also have lung nodules, liver spot, anemia, and arthritis that have been there since then as well.  I'm not sure if linking it to the Gulf makes a difference but I'm looking into that now as well.  Fill me in if you are still active in this post.

Julie

Chief Aviation Machinist Mate (AW)

Yes, I am still some what active in the Forum just not on here very often any more.  With the ITP if you have records of it in service,  a medical opinion and nexus, current treatment records, you will be golden.   There is a lot of literature out there regarding the condition.