VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question For Berta Or Anyone Who May Know

Rate this topic

Raven

Berta

Again- thanks for everything- I have read some postings in the past about P&T not really being the case until 10 years- I am schedular NON IU-70% for depression- If I go back to work- will that mess things up for my P&T status- the Chapter 35 benifits are important- so I do not want to mess it up- I am already on SSDI but sitting here is driving me crazy-too much time on my hands and to many beers in the fridge

Please provide me some input on how to maintain P&T but yet not sit here and rot- I am only 44 YOS and have my GIBILL still-turned down for voch rehab and ILP (it supported my P&T)

Thanks

Raven

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raven -working can mess up not only VA benefits but SSDI too-

I have a SSDI vet-he was on a work program and got SSDI too- he went over the income limit by a few bucks and they are attempting to take his SSDI away-

But there is so much one can do as a volunteer-

we need people here to give claims advise, and help tbird-I bet there are libraries around you that would love someone to volunteer to teach the internet to senior citizens-

Our local VAMC wanted volunteers to come in and help vets use the PCs there-they had internet access and vets who need buddy statements etc, could learn to access their units-as well as VA regs for their claims- up here I was volunteer for the local fire department for 9-10 years-

And if you use your GI Bill- I sure can tell you- school takes up a lot of time- and it gives you goals-

Most of my time for last 2-3 years has been controlled by the United States Marine Corps-

I only need 2 more courses-

This is my school-90 % of my instruction has been from the Corps but they have all branches teaching and also civilians too-

I LOVE IT but it is HARD!!!!!!

Check us out: American Military University

http://www.amu.apus.edu/index.htm

They took my past college credits towards my degree and I have some for the next degree-

I am primarily warfare maneuver -battlefield command , tactical decision making, Leadership etc-student and earned a Certificate in Military Studies already too -that was REAL HARD- because I was only civilian at the time in the courses.

And the only student in most of the courses!!!!!

My favorite professor , active duty Major USMC was HORRIBLE and TOUGH and ON me all the time-The Corps wants 150%. I gave him that .It was Horrible!

But I got all A's-just for spite!and took many courses he teaches- he thought I would crumble in my first course years ago-I am a civilian -when I had to plan and design a war game (I picked Vietnam for war game and he gave me A and wanted me to submit it to the MArine Corps Gazette but I havent yet.)and challenge an enlisted man over battle orders.Piece of cake-Some of my homework he had to grade at Okinawa-some AMU teachers are on active duty- I am waiting for one to return to Quantico now to take his course. At this point I dont ever want a civilian teacher again.

The hard part is getting the prof you want for the course you want when you want it-when you are like me at end of the degree program-check us out --AMU ----and

Think about using your G I Bill. Berta

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

I am learning a to play the guitar. If you work you can kiss your IU goodbye. You can take classes but just don't try and do it through the VA. If you think you can rehab yourself have at it but do it in a way the VA or SSA will never know about.

I am over 55 and have been rated 100% permanent & total and no examinations will be scheduled in the future for your permanent and total disability/disabilities. What exactly does that mean? What would trigger an examination and by who?

From a previous post:

One of the myths about the VA is "if your P and T they cannot re-evaluate you. Yes they can. The VA can re-evaluate any veteran anytime they desire based on a pereception that your condition has improved. Even if your 55 and older there is this sentence that says: "In cases of veterans over 55 years of age, except under unusual circumstances." It is the "under unusual circumstances that opens the door for the VA to re-examine a veteran.

However, having worked for the VA there are certain circumstances when a re-evaluation will not be made and that is under the circumstances where vetean has been in combat and received specific combat awards, PH, CAR, CIB; and if the disorders are presumptive such as those listed under Agent Orange.

Patrick

From a previous post:

One of the myths about the VA is "if your P and T they cannot re-evaluate you. Yes they can. The VA can re-evaluate any veteran anytime they desire based on a pereception that your condition has improved. Even if your 55 and older there is this sentence that says: "In cases of veterans over 55 years of age, except under unusual circumstances." It is the "under unusual circumstances that opens the door for the VA to re-examine a veteran.

However, having worked for the VA there are certain circumstances when a re-evaluation will not be made and that is under the circumstances where vetean has been in combat and received specific combat awards, PH, CAR, CIB; and if the disorders are presumptive such as those listed under Agent Orange.

Patrick

What would 'unusual' circumstances' be for over 55 with a rating 100% ptsd p&t?