VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

National Burn Pit Registry

Rate this question

Akdiesel

Question

This applies to OIF vets for certain but unsure of others. Has anyone heard anything about this? I saw the VA press release from about a year ago that says they were looking at making it a presumptive condition for all who served in OIF but have heard nothing else. I had pretty heavy burn pit exposure (see: daily) during both my deployments and was curious about it. Thanks in advance.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

This applies to OIF vets for certain but unsure of others. Has anyone heard anything about this? I saw the VA press release from about a year ago that says they were looking at making it a presumptive condition for all who served in OIF but have heard nothing else. I had pretty heavy burn pit exposure (see: daily) during both my deployments and was curious about it. Thanks in advance.

http://www.nextgov.com/defense/2014/03/va-fails-set-registry-troops-exposed-burn-pits/81007/

March 21, 2014: Sens. Bob Corker, R-Tenn., and Tom Udall, D-N.M., slammed the Veterans Affairs Department for failing to set up a registry of troops exposed to toxic pollutants from trash burn pits in Afghanistan and Iraq, as required by legislation they sponsored. The law, signed by President Obama on Jan. 13, 2013, gave VA one year to develop, create and maintain an open burn pit registry of service members and veterans who may have been exposed to toxic chemicals and fumes from open air burn pits. Some of the sites measured acres in size and burned all kinds of trash, including chemical-laden batteries, electronics and plastics. Troops living or working nearby have said the fumes sickened them. VA, in the burn pit section of its public health website, maintains that exposure to smoke or fumes from the trash sites does not correlate with long term health problems, based on research conducted by the Institute of Medicine in October 2011. Corker, ranking member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and Udall, a member of the Military Construction and Veterans Affairs Appropriations subcommittee, asked VA Secetary Eric Shinseki why the registry has not yet been established, three months after the deadline, in a letter sent Wednesday. “This delay is deeply concerning, particularly when similar registries exist within the United States government,” Corker and Udall told Shinseki. VA, for example, has operated for decades an Agent Orange Registry for veterans exposed to that toxic defoliant in Vietnam. The two Senators asked Shinseki to “provide Congress with information on the current status of the Open Air Burn Pit Registry, an accounting of problems that have arisen during the development of the registry, detailed information on remaining benchmarks to be completed before the Open Air Burn Pit Registry will become fully operational, and any information on how Congress can help to expedite the implementation of this critical program.” Nextgov asked VA similar questions. “The registry launch has been postponed until spring 2014 to allow adequate time to develop and test the software and hardware as well as to ensure data security and accessibility,” spokeswoman Victoria Dillon said in an email reply. She did not give a firm date for startup.

Thanks for the information. I am surprised its so recent which is great to see. Hopefully we can get it going and the VA actually spreads the word about it so those of us affected can be evaluated.