VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Rumors

Rate this question

chaingang11b

Question

I will try to make this short. I applied for benefits over 3 years ago and never got an exam date. Then a sudden denial of disability because I missed my exam. I am currently waiting for a new exam date a gentlemen that works with the VA is helping me get this C&P Exam.

I was blown up by a Vehicle IED, and have documentation and sworn statements.

Small arms fire, etc. I have a combat infantrymans badge obviously also.

I am incredibly nervous about this exam, and I really think that nothing good ever happens to me and I will be denied.

I just want to know how to answer certain questions. I do think about suicide often but do I tell them that? I dont want to be admitted.

MY childhood, it is to my understanding that you say something like "My childhood has nothing to do with this, if you want to ask me questions about my military service, fine but were not here to talk about my childhood" Is this the best way to approach this?

Many have told me I have a good chance of getting a rating, but I know im going to screw something up. Please someone help me with some pointers. I am extremely paranoid and I simply cant talk with anyone about this, I just found this forum.

Thanks.

Your history sounds complex and I'm sure others will join in. Stick to the facts and answer questions as if it was your worst day. Don't bring up childhood issues. The examiner is following a checklist so help them out. Tell them how you feel - if you survived combat, you can survive swallowing your pride enough to give the examiner the dirty details when they ask. Be kind to the examiner - they don't make the decisions, but their responses to the checklist and other noted behaviors will. They also don't admit (not that I know of) so just discuss how you feel when asked. Most won't accept documents either. You can refer to them if you need to, but they won't take them from you if you offer them.

I just went through this..just be honest and connect your problems to your service. It is hard because you feel constantly defeated and things never come out good for you. But, tell the truth and then they can't call you a liar or challenge anything you tell them. Allow your emotions to come as they may. It is not unmanly even though we are taught that. Emotions cause phisical and mental problems and they need to know you are genuine. I told them my true feelings about suicide as it goes on in my private thoughts. I did tell them I did not EVER want to hurt anyone again. So no homicidal problems were noted.

If you are nervous and scared, tell them when they ask how you feel. tell the TRUTH!

• HadIt.com Elder

Just say your childhood was great. Everything was fine until you got blown up in OIF/OEF. Did you file for TBI and PTSD? If you have any symptoms of TBI you should file. TBI is insidious in its symptoms and prognosis. Many thousands of vets from WWII, Korea, and Vietnam had TBI's and these injuries affected their lives. I don't know exactly what you filed for but PTSD and TBI come to mind immediately. I think you will win your claims.

If you tell them any information about pre-military that could be twisted to support personality disorder, or any pre-existing condition it will haunt you the rest of your life. I can attest to this directly. \

John

Your history sounds complex and I'm sure others will join in. Stick to the facts and answer questions as if it was your worst day. Don't bring up childhood issues. The examiner is following a checklist so help them out. Tell them how you feel - if you survived combat, you can survive swallowing your pride enough to give the examiner the dirty details when they ask. Be kind to the examiner - they don't make the decisions, but their responses to the checklist and other noted behaviors will. They also don't admit (not that I know of) so just discuss how you feel when asked. Most won't accept documents either. You can refer to them if you need to, but they won't take them from you if you offer them.

i talked about my childhood issues and how they were relevant to my military service. and i wasn't denied. don't think you can make a blanket sttement about that. i think it depends on the person.

I went to a C& P exam in oct , All I can tell you is don't be to stressed , the interviewer will ask the questions and you answer them . But if you ever don't want to talk about any particular question , don't be afraid to tell the interviewer you don't want to speak on the incident. They get really in-depth about some questions - i.e. Just make sure you tell them what bothers you and what slows you down as far as being able to function like we could before a combat operation. Hope that was helpful.