VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam Rumors

Rate this question

chaingang11b

Question

I will try to make this short. I applied for benefits over 3 years ago and never got an exam date. Then a sudden denial of disability because I missed my exam. I am currently waiting for a new exam date a gentlemen that works with the VA is helping me get this C&P Exam.

I was blown up by a Vehicle IED, and have documentation and sworn statements.

Small arms fire, etc. I have a combat infantrymans badge obviously also.

I am incredibly nervous about this exam, and I really think that nothing good ever happens to me and I will be denied.

I just want to know how to answer certain questions. I do think about suicide often but do I tell them that? I dont want to be admitted.

MY childhood, it is to my understanding that you say something like "My childhood has nothing to do with this, if you want to ask me questions about my military service, fine but were not here to talk about my childhood" Is this the best way to approach this?

Many have told me I have a good chance of getting a rating, but I know im going to screw something up. Please someone help me with some pointers. I am extremely paranoid and I simply cant talk with anyone about this, I just found this forum.

Thanks.

I will try to make this short. I applied for benefits over 3 years ago and never got an exam date. Then a sudden denial of disability because I missed my exam. I am currently waiting for a new exam date a gentlemen that works with the VA is helping me get this C&P Exam.

I was blown up by a Vehicle IED, and have documentation and sworn statements.

Small arms fire, etc. I have a combat infantrymans badge obviously also.

I am incredibly nervous about this exam, and I really think that nothing good ever happens to me and I will be denied.

I just want to know how to answer certain questions. I do think about suicide often but do I tell them that? I dont want to be admitted.

MY childhood, it is to my understanding that you say something like "My childhood has nothing to do with this, if you want to ask me questions about my military service, fine but were not here to talk about my childhood" Is this the best way to approach this?

Many have told me I have a good chance of getting a rating, but I know im going to screw something up. Please someone help me with some pointers. I am extremely paranoid and I simply cant talk with anyone about this, I just found this forum.

Thanks.

Did they finish your claim yet? Just tell them you don't want to talk about your childhood , they won't pressure you about anything you don't wish to speak on . I don't know everything but I am 80% Sc. Ptsd-tennitus-migraines ect....

Good point, ice. I was just thinking that it depends on the examiner: if they are using the DSM-IV axis-scales to determine results of the interviews, the history of the condition could drive a pre-existing condition. If they move to the DSM-V, the axis scales are now ranges on a relative continuum/spectrum. This could drive different results if the examinee falls on the spectrum prior to military service as well. I tend to be real cautious when describing past issues so as not to even hint of pre-existing conditions - unless of course that is the genesis of the issue being claimed.

Good point, ice. I was just thinking that it depends on the examiner: if they are using the DSM-IV axis-scales to determine results of the interviews, the history of the condition could drive a pre-existing condition. If they move to the DSM-V, the axis scales are now ranges on a relative continuum/spectrum. This could drive different results if the examinee falls on the spectrum prior to military service as well. I tend to be real cautious when describing past issues so as not to even hint of pre-existing conditions - unless of course that is the genesis of the issue being claimed.

what the doc doing my exam told me was i had pre existing issues that became exaberated when i fell down 2 flights of stairs while on active duty.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ice

You were very fortunate in your doctor. Many would have said your condition was pre-existing and left it at that. You had a physical injury. I was thinking more in terms of those claiming PTSD or TBI. You don't want to say your father beat you, or you hit your head in football practice. The VA can twist this around to say your PTSD was pre-existing as was your TBI. Being honest and upstanding is good in church, but not at a VA C&P exam. You are in a game with the real devil when you file a claim for benefits with the VA. You give the VA a string to pull on and they will usually pull it.

I had a C&P exam in the 1980's where the exam doctor asked me if I ever argued with my mother? Did I ever get into a fight at school, and did I ever skip school. I said truthfully that I had done all three. I got a DX of sociopathic personality disorder. I was no criminal or sociopath, but the doctor twisted things to look as bad as possible because he had an outcome in mind. The outcome was to reduce benefits to vets. It did not work, but VA still drags up that exam at times.

Ok, so little off subject. I heard about personal weapons being taken away from soldiers, and other military memebrs that claimed PTSD. This is one of the reasons I have not pursued PTSD anymore. There are things I have thought about, but I am not one to hurt myself or others. In a moment of rage I tend to be bymyself and something ends up broken. Thats all, and item. So are these rumors true?

I am 100% for PTSD and I just passed a background check for concealed carry and I passed the background for a new 38 Special.

I am not sure if the PTSD is the reason for taking firearms. On my C&P it stated that I was NOT Homicidal so maybe that helped?