VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Storage Of Old Military Medical Records

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The Management Center in Washington D. C. has told me over the telephone that they were expecting any old medical records of mine to be in their office the week of the 2nd of September. I called yesterday and one of the counselors told me that she hoped that they were faxed to them this week.

The BVA has ask for a search for old medical records to see if there are any out there that are not in my file.

This would be because in 2004, I turned in all of my psychiatric records and a letter from my commanding officer, to which the VA had never seen.

I filed my first claim in 1978 and the only reply of decision was a letter that stated " you are not service connected." I did not receive any statement of the case or any other papers.

When I refiled in 2002, they still did not get these records and now The BVA wants a search to make sure that they are not others out there, that they may have not secured.

I contacted the St. Louis Archives yesterday and was told that The Management Center had not requested any medical records or anything on me.

Is there anywhere else that old records may be stored?

Now, I don't know whether to believe The Management Center, that they are due in the 2nd. Is it possible that they typed on my VCAA notice that they had sent for them and did not do it.

Thanks so much,

Josephine

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

"This would be because in 2004, I turned in all of my psychiatric records and a letter from my commanding officer, to which the VA had never seen."

Do you mean you sent them to the VA?

I hope you have copies-

Have you seen your c file yet- they might be in there.

• HadIt.com Elder

Never give original documents to the VA . These people are notorious for losing stuff. You may have to give an original claim to the VA but that's it.

• HadIt.com Elder
"This would be because in 2004, I turned in all of my psychiatric records and a letter from my commanding officer, to which the VA had never seen."

Do you mean you sent them to the VA?

I hope you have copies-

Have you seen your c file yet- they might be in there.

Berta,

I turned in copies of the psychiatric records to the Regional Office in 2004 with a letter attached to each with the archive technician signature and the seal. No, I kept all the originals in a safe lock box.

When the remand was sent to The Management Center in April 2006, they told them to check with the arhives to see if there were any other medical records never seen by the Va. The Management Center has told me for months that they placed a request to the St. Louis Archives to do a search and see if there were any other medical records. The archives sent me a letter stating that there were no more and that the VA had them all. That was fine and dandy, but they won't the archives to state that directly to them.

The Management Center told me that the archives would be answering their request on the 2nd of September, but nothing has shown up.

I checked with the archives and they state that The AMC has never turned in a request for any medical records.

I turned around and sent a letter to the archives today by internet to sent a fax directly from the archives to the AMC stating to them that there are no more medical records.

The BVA and The AMC cannot understand how I was able to secure my psychiatric records after 42 years from the archives and why the RO had never requested the records.

Even though my niece is a DRO at my closest RO, my file is not there because of her, I have learned that the VA will lie about anything and that does include my niece.

Thanks for all your help through the years. If David Star is still a member of this site a big thanks to you for warning me of the triangle.

Josephine