VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

babyray

Question

I was dx yesterday with sleep apnea- moderate, at the VA Medical Center by a VA sleep doc. I want to consider filing a secondary claim for SA, secondary to my service connected Major Depressive Disorder which is secondary to my SC DJD and thigh rupture. I will get my private doc to give me a IMO connecting the event. What change I got to get my claim thru with a good IMO from Dr Bash? Right now I am 160% with a extra $300.00 per month.

Edited by babyray

• Answers 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was direct SC 22 years post service. My Sleep doctor pulmonologist cited my in service weight, necksize, onset of hypertension, bad EKG, and chest xray where a b reader opined that my right atrium looked enlarged.

Medical evidence wins claims! This doctor read my records and pointed out the objective medical evidence in my records that backed up his opinion of a chronic condition that started in-service, but not awarded until years later.

Unfortunately, many who have served in the harshest conditions, have the poorest quality of documented medical care or have the most missing records. There are many standard things that every member of the military do or are exposed to that will contribute to sleep apnea. It would be very interesting to see if there is a statistically significant difference of OSA incidence in military verses, non-military populations. I suspect the VA already understands this and that is behind the rumblings of changes regarding OSA in the future.

Best regards,

there is the stats are 3 to one. military vs non milltary have sleep ap.

Considering DIC for a vet with less than ten years of being 100%/TDIU it would be worth it to try and get the OSA service connected. I am TDIU for almost 13 years, and also am SC for heart disease. If my OSA kills me I think my wife will get her DIC direct connected. I have moved heaven and earth to make sure my spouse will get DIC. I assumed that since Babyray is 160% he has been that way for a while. This might not be true. If I thought I had a case to get my OSA connected I would do it. My cpap therapy is almost a total failure. I had a sleep study done about three weeks ago. They woke me up five times because my mask leaked. All my masks leak, and fart, and dry me out. I have had ten different masks. OSA treatment has probably only a 40% compliance rate if that much. I have never had a mask that was comfortable and worked right.

What are the chances you can win an OSA claim if you have no records of this in service? I have been out of the service for 40 years, but I have five AO conditions and MH conditions that are SC. AO is going to kill me. It is a race between OSA and AO.

John

tell her if you croak to make sure that mask is on ya/ va will sure want to know.

I don't think I agree. Look if its due or proven by medical evidence then I would go for it if you believe it is worth it. The VA is bound to try to lower your ratings eventually, that is what they do, unless your rating is protected by the 20 year rule I believe it is, others can chime in if I am incorrect, then they will drag you and bingo you are cured by some miracle that medicine and science still have not figured out. This is just me, take it with a grain of salt but think about it. Statistics and tactics don't lie.

JMHO.

• HadIt.com Elder

That is a good point! In Babyray's first post I just assumed he was 100% for at least ten years since he was 160%. It usually takes a while to get to that rating. It took me about 8 years. Vet's should consider the impact on spouses of their claims.