VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependency Claim Woes

Rate this question

reddingca

Question

I received my initial response back 14 months ago and got awarded 70%. I immediately noticed the paperwork had me listed as unmarried with one dependent and I submitted for married with 3 dependents with all the proper marriage certs, birth certs, prior marriage info and forms required. It's now been 14 months and my dependency claim is sitting at claim received with absolutely nothing done. Multiple phone calls and emails all land me with the same prescripted response of your claim is currently in the works and dependency claims are currently taking xx number of months. The number changed from 8 months to 12 months recently. It is absolutely ridiculous and unsatisfactory that a simple dependency change is still sitting untouched for over a year now with nothing done. This claim was sent by mail in February 2014. I also tried to do one right on eBenefits in June 2012 and I got excited last month when they moved that one to claims completed. When I called I was promptly disappointed to find out they had only moved it because it was a duplicate claim and still nothing has been done on the claim.

reddingca:

Don't feel bad, or alone on this one. I filed my initial claim in 2010 when I retired from the Military, and in 2012 I was awarded a partial rating of 90% with a couple of issues deferred. So in 2013 when I was rated 100% the VA said that they were missing prior divorce papers, Really? I told them that all the paperwork had been submitted three years prior. Well, they said to re-submit, and I did. So sometime in 2013 e-benefits showed as being received and a new start date of 2012, well here we are in 2014 and my paperwork has been sitting in the Pending Decision Approval for the last 6 months or so, and when I call the VA to ask them whats up with my claim, they basically just tell me the same thing they told you. This is ridiculous, 4 years, come on! Plus they want to short change me by two years, imagine that! These people should be fired, and replaced with all Veterans, because they would get the job done.

Good luck, and lets just be patient, and hopefully we'll hear some good news soon.

God Bless.

Aggie

A couple months ago VA semi-automated the process for dependency claims. If they meet certain criteria they can now be processed in a day or so using Ebenefits. Try filing again using Ebenefits and see if it works for you this time. DO NOT cancel your paper filed dependency claim. They will use that to give you the correct retro date.

If your dependency claim is considered "complicated", then it won't process quickly through Ebenefits.

But it can't hurt to try!

I tried to do that once and they moved my online application to completed and when i called they said they had done that because it was a duplicated application. I have once again submitted a new application online to change the dependency and it shows up along side the orginal paper application from back in feburary 2013. Fingers crossed that maybe something will happen in a day or two. I can't see how it can be any simplier. I married now and i have two step children...shouldn't it be that a simple number needs to be updated somewhere.....

We have been waiting for over 19 months to get our children and myself added to my husband claim since he was awarded 100% serviced connected. His SSDI was claim was even completed a year ago. Every time we call we get the same scripted response. So I guess we just hurry up and wait.

Some good news for Dependent claims!

Currently, the VA is undergoing a 30 day pilot program... If you are waiting to get your dependents added to your claim and your information is already in ebenefits you can participate in the program... Just call, 1-800-827-1000; press 1; press 7; press zero and speak with a rep.

The rep will put your dependant claim in manually. If, for some reason you don't get through, go in ebenefits and put in a new application for dependents. Yes, I know you already have one in there but they are working all new claims and then going back to retro pay you for what's already in ebenefits. Make sense?

So,for me, I opened a claim back in feb 2014. No movement. I called the 1-800 for a status update and the rep told me they had a pilot program. She transferred me. I put my claim in with someone over the phone. The date of my initial dependent claim is still in ebenefits so i am not losing retro pay. My claim has since moved and is in the hands of St. Louis rep. Good luck and get on it. I don't know how much longer the pilot program will last. All this happen in the span of one week. last week.