VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Smc (S) Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Parkinson'sand

Rate this question

warren

Question

I filed a claim for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as secondary to parkinson's. They called me in for C&P and Doctor diagnosed me with CFS, stating that fatigue is debilitating, constant and almost totally restricts veteran of routine daily activities. Veteran cannot do any yard work, no repairs around house, cannot participate in any recreational activities. He sits at home at all times, and when he goes out to a medical

appointment, he becomes even more exhausted and has to go to bed afterwards. Symptoms: Generalized muscle aches, generalized weakness, joint pain, sleep disturbance and forgetfulness and sore throat. Doctor states that these symptoms are frequent or constant. Employment History: Veteran had to retire because of medical problems-parkinson's and chronic fatigue syndrome.

ARE THERE EFFECTS OF THE PROBLEM ON USUAL DAILY ACTIVITIES: yes

CHORES: Prevents

SHOPPING: Prevents

EXERCISE: Prevents

SPORTS: Prevents

RECREATION: Prevents.

TRAVELING: Severe

FEEDING: Prevents

BATHING: Severe

DRESSING: Moderate

TOILETING: Moderate

GROOMING: Moderate

DIAGNOSIS: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Diagnosed 2/25/2013

Has the criterion of new onset of debilitating fatigue that is severe enough to reduce or impair average daily activity below 50 percent of the patient's pre-illness activity level for a period of 6 months been met? Yes

Has the criterion that other clinical conditions that may produce similar symptoms have been excluded by thorough evaluation, based on history, physical examination, and appropriate laboratory tests been met? yes

Have at least 6 of the 10 chronic fatigue syndrome diagnostic criteria been met? Yes

In-person examination.

Evidence review: VA claims file review? yes

Medical opinion for secondary service connection:

The claimed condition is less likely than not (less than 50 percent probability) proximately due to or the result of the veteran's service connected parkinson's disease. Provide rationale in section c.

C. Rationale: The veteran has well established parkinson's disease, producing symptoms since the late 1990's. He also has classical chronic fatigue syndrome, which has virtually debilitated him. His debilitating fatigue and associated symptoms are not manifestations of his parkinson's disease.

The reason I'm showing all of this, Is that I put in a claim for housebound and the RO has ask for medical evidence to back up my claim for housebound. CAN I USE THIS C&P AS MEDICAL EVIDENCE? Thanks for any advice.

GOD BLESS

2 answers to this question

I am not sure if you can, but did you serve in the Gulf War or anywhere in SWA? If so you should reconsider your CFS diagnosis as a presumptive illness that was caused by or due to the results of service in the gulf war.

jrt1021 is Right... and asked you a very important question , as to the SWA service

The med opinion here wont help get SMC S at all, because it seems that the CFS was claimed as secondary to the SC Parkinsons, and the doc deemed it "less as likely" with a medical rationale that does support his opinion..

SMC S awards are based either on a separate SC disability rated at 60% or more, in addition to a 100% Independent disability ,or TDIU, due to being housebound solely due to the totally disabling SC.condition.

If you can get the CFS rated at 60% or more and you served in SWA, then SMC S should be awarded in my opinion.