VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Choosing An Attorney (Accredited By Va)

Rate this question

Squidder

Question

I am looking to get some counsel from an attorney that knows the ropes within the VA system. Is it important that an attorney for this be located in the state that you reside in? The VA is of course Federal so maybe being local is not that important unless you want to meet in person. I live in Nevada and there seem to be very few that are accredited by the VA around Reno.

Also anyone know any attorneys to recommend that are knowlegeable about the VA (possibly one that previously worked at a VA Regional Office)?

Some attorneys do work for Veterans but sometimes more as a sideline and I want someone that specializes in Veterans issues. I have seen some Excel lists of VA accredited attorneys but picking one is like opening the phone book closing your eyes and hoping for the best which I'd rather not do. Thanks

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

You can search for them by their name on the excell list, in BVA and CAVC decisions on line.

What I mean is, here are two of my favorite vet lawyers. I have interviewed them both at our SVR radio shows here in the past.

Robert Walsh

I put' BVA Robert Walsh granted 'into my Google browser:

The first one here popped up:

"ORDER

An effective date of June 11, 1993, is granted for an award
of veterans' benefits under 38 U.S.C.A. § 1151; the veteran's
appeal for an effective date prior to October 13, 2000, for
the award of benefits under 38 U.S.C.A. § 1151 is granted to
this extent only, subject to the criteria governing the
payment of monetary awards."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/files2/0509575.txt

This award arose from a vacated BVA decision by the CAVC, for which, I sure believe Bob was the vet's attorney on the CAVC case as well.

I put one of my other favorites Doug Rosinski into google . BVA Douglas Rosinski BVA

"THE ISSUE

Entitlement to an effective date earlier than December 30, 2008, for the award of service connection for paranoid schizophrenia.

(The issue of whether the appointment of a fiduciary to manage the Veteran's VA benefits was proper is the subject of a separate Board decision.)"

"ORDER

Subject to the law and regulations governing payment of monetary benefits, an effective date of August 22, 1979, but no earlier, for the award of service connection for paranoid schizophrenia, is granted."

http://www.va.gov/vetapp13/Files2/1312157.txt

This was a 2013 decision.

A lawyer does not necessarly have to be in the same state you are in at all.

Many can assess the claim's potential via email at their web sites.

Both Doug and Bob have given out their contact in here in the hadit Radio shows.

They are very user friendly.

Just to add,

Here are the SVR shows I mentioned in addition to our more recent hadit blog radio shows:

http://www.svr-radio.com/archives.html

Click on the music Icon....and your PC media player should pick up the show.

There is a good 2 parter show we did with Doug Rosinski in Dec 2012 and covered a lot of topics.

All of the shows are full of good info