VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Top Veterans Affairs Official Questions Use Of Term 'gulf War Illness'

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

Top Veterans Affairs official questions use of term 'Gulf War Illness' Source: MilitaryTimes.com

Apr. 22, 2014 - 02:51PM

That potentially explosive news was contained in an email sent by an IOM staffer to panel members who made the recommendation, including chairman Dr. Kenneth Shine. A copy was obtained by Military Times through a third party and later verified as genuine.

In the email, the IOM staffer said Allison Hickey, VA’s undersecretary for benefits, questioned the use of “Gulf War illness” rather than the VA-favored “chronic multisymptom illness” in a briefing on the report, “Chronic Multisymptom Illness in Gulf War Veterans.“

Hickey “was concerned that changing the name from CMI to GWI might imply a causal link between service in the Gulf and poor health which could necessitate legislation for disability compensation for veterans who served in the Gulf,” according to the email. Read the whole story here Top Veterans Affairs official questions use of term 'Gulf War Illness

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

This gulf war ilness thing is deception, they keep changing the rules. alot of us are fed up with the bullshit. they need to quit playing games with us.

It is very clear what they are trying to do, they are trying to eliminate the category of desert storm veterans as a seperate group. Very gradual, once that is accepted, then it wont be OIF, they will just lump everyone together as southeast asia service. Thats how they go about the business or pushing veterans in a box, and putting them away. to forget about, and ignore us.

Edited by 63SIERRA

the cockeyed hairspray bingo queen strikes again!!!!1

heres what is going to happen. The same thing that happened with agent orange. Someone with the means to do so, will file suit against the VA, just like the Neimer actions, and the VA will be required to pay gulf war veterans. They will deny it until they think we are all dead and gone, just like they tried to do vietnam veterans. So who will it be that files suit, and whose name goes down in history, as the one who finally broke the back of the giant elephant with iron legs?

""VA research was called into question in May, when former researcher Stephen Coughlin testified that VA hid or manipulated data and results. The VA inspector general later cleared the department of all but three of the allegations."""

the above statement would be plenty enough evidence to get a lawsuit started against the VA. There is proof that they arte manipulating the data.

Edited by 63SIERRA

63Sierra the problem is going to be getting an attorney to fight this fight. This would take years to win and I'm not sure many law dogs would get into this long drawn out fight. Don't get me wrong I am one that would love to see this bring justice to gulf, Iraq, Afghanistan war vets some redemption, myself included, however, I'm not sure what it's going to take to change this mess. I will tell you I'm not giving up, however, I realize the changes might not happen in this decade.