Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Awarded Smc (S) For Tdui + 60%-Retro Seems Short

Rate this topic

GuaymasJim

This is a success story with a twist. My claim sat silent until February 28, 2014 when an “in-person” C&P as well as a “telephone” C&P were conducted in the next three weeks. The C&Ps were straight forward but were so incomplete that if I were not satisfied with the results I would have definitely had grounds for appeal. I got a call from the rater on April 25th to discuss the rating. He was pleasant, polite and knowledgeable and answered all of my questions. He acknowledged the inadequate C&Ps, but felt that even if they had been accurate, the end result would be the same. I wasn’t too pleased with the effective date, as starting in August 2012, I had repeatedly asked VAMC Tucson to inform the Phoenix RO of the severe IHD diagnosis as it is a relatively new AO presumptive. VAMC Tucson failed to do so, and I am stuck with the date of the claim. Ultimately, I agreed, and I am satisfied with the end results with the following exception.

I was awarded SMC (S) for TDUI + 60% for IHD and 30% PTSD on April 25, 2014. The claim was submitted on June 10, 2013.

I received a deposit for $3,044.16 on April 30, 2014. Then on May 1, 2014, I received two deposits of $3017.60 and $341.04. The $3017. 60 is my normal monthly payment for 100% vet and spouse. The $341.06 is the normal SMC (S).

So for May 1, 2014, I received a total of $3,358.64 which is the amount stated on my award letter which stated “Your payment begins the first day of the month following your effective date.”

According to my math, I am an entitled to 6 months of SMC (S) at pre-COLA rate of $336.00 for July, August, September, October, November and December of 2013 for a total of $2016 plus 4 months of SMC(S) at post COLA rate of $341.06 for January, February, March and April 2014 for a total of $1364.24

$2016 + $1364.24 = $3380.24

$3380.24 -$3044.16 = $336.08

I am aware that the VA pays in arrears, so the months listed are the actual deposit dates as opposed to entitlement dates. I believe I have been shorted one month of retroactive SMC (S).

Can anyone find fault with my math?

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup! You said it was awarded in 8/2012 and I think you meant 8/2013. If the claim date is June 10, 2013, your first check should be 8/1/2013, for July. June doesn't count for money, at all. July gets paid 8/1/13. I'm guessing the award date is 6/10/2013.

pr

This concerns me too Jim ( BTW CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

"I had repeatedly asked VAMC Tucson to inform the Phoenix RO of the severe IHD diagnosis as it is a relatively new AO presumptive. "

Did you formally claim the IHD?

Do you have proof ( like IRIS email) that you informed the VA of the IHD?

In any past decision did they ever rate the IHD as a NSC, prior to Nehmer 2010?

If so you are a Footnote One Nehmer vet.

Lots of info on Nehmer and Footnote one in the AO forum.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Philip, the effective date was June 10, 2013. A clear reading of the award letter would seem to conflict with “June doesn't count for money, at all.” (That doesn’t necessarily mean that I disagree with you.)

The award letter:

“Your payment begins the first day of the month following your effective date. You will receive a payment covering the initial amount due under this award, minus any withholdings. Thereafter, payment will be made at the beginning of each month for the prior month. For example, benefits due for May are paid on or about June 1.”

If the award letter had stated that “Your entitlement begins the first day of the month following your effective date” with every other word in the paragraph remaining exactly the same, June would clearly be a “lost” month. However, it doesn’t. I am fairly (what a shitty word to use in a discussion about VA behavior!) sure that this has been argued ad nauseam here on hadit.com and elsewhere—and I lose. It might interest you to know that the rater who called me with the decision agreed with my math. In fact, he gave me the numbers unsolicited. (I tape and transcribe almost every single interaction I have with the VA; and then translate it into Spanish for my wife.)

Berta, thank you! I was diagnosed with severe IHD at VAMC Tucson on August 24, 2012 via angiogram along with two stent placements with the others to be staged over the following months. Due to the extreme incompetence of the med students (Fellows) who just couldn’t get the job done correctly, I still have one to go. One of the medications that I have taken for years is known to cause IHD or myocardial ischemia. In July 2012, I had two incidents after injecting the medication which dropped me to my knees feeling like some Mayan/Aztec witch doctor was ripping my heart out of my chest. I really thought the Reaper had come for me! I have suffered moderate to severe angina ever since with all but the most mild exertion. VAMC Tucson will not perform either a physical or chemical stress test for fear of provoking a MI. The rating was based on interview METS and NYHA Class III (2-5 METS) designation.

I did formally claim IHD on June 10, 2013. I have no real evidence of informing the Veterans Benefits Administration of the diagnosis other than having it entered into my (Veterans Health Administration) VAMC Tucson medical records in all CAPS and repeated and being told that Tucson RO would be informed via those records. Seem like the VBA and the VHA don’t communicate. I discussed an “inferred claim” with the rater who called, but got nowhere. “The laws won’t allow us to back farther than the date of the claim.” My original TDUI claim (34 years ago) was an “inferred claim” and was paid to the date of diagnosis because the diagnosis under VA care was the claim.

I have no prior evidence of IHD other than moderate atherosclerosis of my aorta and iliac arteries which diagnosed via CT scans in 2006 and 2007 but never reported to me, discussed, or treated in any fashion. AHA/ACC strongly recommended Plavix even back then to slow PAD progression and avoid CAD in the future.

Nehmer just doesn’t apply to me. However, I do accept, that with the wonderful exception of the heart and memories of my dear Hector, I will certainly soon be no more than a footnote!

I don’t suppose it will do any harm to NOD the effective date, and I will consider it.

Thanks again for the replies.

• HadIt.com Elder

I should have had mine go nback farther I asked for it but they used the date of My C&P.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Congrats: This sounds like it is good news for both you and others. You did not mention it, but I am guessing you got SMC S "housebound" under the 100 plus 60 statue, and not housebound in fact.

This is interesting, in light that you are TDIU 100%. My mind is drawing a blank to remember the case which enabled Vets to collect SMC S by statue (without proving housebound in fact) with TDIU. However, VA definately has sought to limit this impact, and is fighting giving SMC S to TDIU'ers, in part, because VA did not say which of your conditions led to TDIU, and pyramiding prevents a condition from being considered twice. It would be great if you would post the relevant but non personal parts of the decision.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• KMac1181 went up a rank
      Rookie
    • Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use