VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Migraines Secondary To Back Or Together?

Rate this question

That guy198742

Question

I have been having migraines for the last 3 years and was told my a VA doc that the migraines could be caused by my SC degenerative disk condition. The migraines seem to be related to my back or my sensitivity to light (spent a year playing in the deisert) or a combination of both.

Should i file a new claim stating that this was caused from my service or state that it is secondary to my back? It has been less than 5 years since i returned from a combat zone. Also could i file a claim for my eyes being messed up and so sensitive to light? My vision is actually much worse than my last eye exam before i ETS'd

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I have been having migraines for the last 3 years and was told my a VA doc that the migraines could be caused by my SC degenerative disk condition. The migraines seem to be related to my back or my sensitivity to light (spent a year playing in the deisert) or a combination of both.

Should i file a new claim stating that this was caused from my service or state that it is secondary to my back? It has been less than 5 years since i returned from a combat zone. Also could i file a claim for my eyes being messed up and so sensitive to light? My vision is actually much worse than my last eye exam before i ETS'd

You will need a medical opinion in writing that your back condition causes your migraines.

Absolutely. Until a doctor is willing to put causes in writing connecting these relatively new conditions to your time/duty in service, you don't have anything to go on. That ought to be your next step - getting causes related to service documented.

Be very careful on how you classify your migraines/headaches. I am going through the remand process right now on my headaches and I initially thought they were migraines, but my Doc is saying they are cervicogenic. I have DDD in my cervical spine with limited ROM. The VA will fight you tooth and nail saying that DDD does not cause migraines (C&P Doc). Then you will have to fight them to get them reclassified if they are not true migraine headaches (prostrating pain). Do you have cervical DDD and are you rated for it? I would definitely claim that they are secondary to your back or neck DDD service connected condition. If not, they will say since it has been 5 years it wasn't due to your service. Also, be careful about saying anything about your vision being bad. The VA will try to say the headaches are caused by your vision/eye problems. You don't get sensitivity to light until after your headache has started to affect you, right???That's the way mine are. That is a symptom of your headache and not a cause.

good luck, Mags