VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Feedback On Nexus I Wrote For My Pcp

Rate this question

hmcquade

Question

Patient Name: Hugh T. McQuade

DOB:

VA File number

Subject: Mr. McQuades Peripheral Arterial Disease Secondary to Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus

To Whom It May Concern:

I am Mr. Hugh T. McQuade Primary Care Physician, he has been a patient of mine since_____. I see

Mr. McQuade once a year for physical exams, in (date) I diagnosed him with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus based on his consistent high glucose and AC1 levels.

I have reviewed Mr. McQuades Military Service and Medical Records that included his C and P exams, and VA blood test results, these records indicated that Mr. McQuade is a Viet Nam Veteran, he was diagnosed by the Saginaw VA Doctors with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, and Mr. McQuade was

Service Connected for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus by the VA Compensation Board.

My review of Mr. McQuades private medical records from Dr. _________, M.D., Endocrinologist, who is treating Mr. McQuade for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, shows that Mr. McQuade is being seen by

Dr. _________, M.D. every 3 to 6 months, that Mr. McQuades glucose and Ac1 levels had not been stable over the past 3 years, subsequently Dr. Thawani, M.D. had to increase Mr. McQuades Diabetic medication from Metformin 500mg once a day to 500mg 3 times a day, adding Amaryl 2 mg once and day, and Zocor once a day.

My review of Mr. McQuades medical report from his Neurologist Dr. ___________, D.O. and Ultra Sound of Mr. McQuades, lower extremities show that Mr. McQuade has mild Peripheral Arterial Disease, more in his left leg that right leg.

Based on Mr. McQuades history of Service Connected Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, my review of all tests and lab results, and my physical examination of Mr. McQuades feet and legs it is most than likely than not that Mr. McQuades Peripheral Arterial Disease is Secondary to his Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus.

Further evidence of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus causing Peripheral Arterial Disease is supported by

The American Diabetes Association, The American Heart Association, and the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.

Please feel free to call me at_____________

Sincerely,

Hi all feedback accepted. I write the following Nexus letter for my private doctor to send to the VA on my denial for PAD Secondary to DMII

Thanks,

Hugh

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I should have stated that this letter is a drab and I meet with my private PCP at the end of the month. I wrote this as a suggestion for the PCP. I am not getting help with a nexus letter from my DVA, I was looking for feedback, input.

Thanks,

Hugh

That is a good draft for your doc to refer to. You have done your homework!!

Only suggestion maybe add a bit more to the last paragraph. I have seen a lot of nexus letters get rejected because the "rationale" or reasoning was not strong enough. For example, give the names of specific studies that have been done. Talk about how the studies relate to your specific situation.

Also, give a argument against the specific reasons they denied you.

I tried that with my PCP and she replied saying she couldn't sign it because she didn't write it (in spite of me stating clearly it was only a guideline due to VA particularities about terminology).

The one she DID write for me for SSDI was rejected because she 'isn't a medical doctor" (she's an NP).

So- don't wanna be discouraging but these are my experiences. That's great that you're taking strong steps to win! :smile:

That is a good draft for your doc to refer to. You have done your homework!!

Only suggestion maybe add a bit more to the last paragraph. I have seen a lot of nexus letters get rejected because the "rationale" or reasoning was not strong enough. For example, give the names of specific studies that have been done. Talk about how the studies relate to your specific situation.

Also, give a argument against the specific reasons they denied you.

Thanks. Would you believe the I was denied because my Doctors did not provide any supporting medical information to support the Nexus! I will find some medical studies to add. My PCP is a great person.

Again thanks for the feedback.

Hugh

I tried that with my PCP and she replied saying she couldn't sign it because she didn't write it (in spite of me stating clearly it was only a guideline due to VA particularities about terminology).

The one she DID write for me for SSDI was rejected because she 'isn't a medical doctor" (she's an NP).

So- don't wanna be discouraging but these are my experiences. That's great that you're taking strong steps to win! :smile:

Thanks, I never give up. I proved years ago the VBA made a CUE on my claim for Tinnitus. Did you ever win your case?

Hugh

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks, I never give up. I proved years ago the VBA made a CUE on my claim for Tinnitus. Did you ever win your case?

Hugh

"I tried that with my PCP and she replied saying she couldn't sign it"

Generally, VA PCPs hate to write opinions that might be used in a VA claim. Evidently the VA administration comes down on them for doing so.

The last thing you want is a PCP writing an opinion when they don't want to.

There is a copy of a VA fast letter that may still be accessible via the fast letter index that tells the PCPs what the "public' VA policy is concerning opinions.

Edited by Chuck75

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use