Retroactive Back Pay.

Archer

Question

My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.

Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?

Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?

I usually get my Retro in a few weeks after claim closes.

My suggestion on what to do would be to pay all debt off, get 100% debt free.

Put 10-15 grand in an emergency only fund and don't touch it unless it is a real no other option emergency.

Learn to live debt free. Pay cash for needs. Be very careful not to classify WANTS as needs.

Always refrain from impulse buying for wants. Think about it for 30 days and see if it is still a want. Most of the time you will forget about it.

Take a little bit, go enjoy a nice vacation and get that out of your system.

When the pressure of credit payments are over your head, it can be a heavy weight. Paying cash for needs can save a whole lot of money and you can end up having much more using your money to pay for things instead of paying interest on things.

Just my opinion. I have been buried in debt before and am now debt free and man does it feel a lot better.

• Like 9

8k cash down to 4k due to paying bills off and getting house in valdosta ga to rent hmm new bills and stuff out of 3k a month im down to roughly 500 i can save. Thats until parents can get jobs then more round 1k a month...

• Thanks 1

My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.

Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?

Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?

My retro payment took roughly a week to hit after the claim showed as closed in eBennies. My letter which I received about a week later said 15 days. I imagine it varies by VARO and the number of signatures required for the dollar amount.

I believe the information on eBennies get's updated when your VARO decides to get around to entering the data. My updates throughout the process of my claim usually showed up online between 5 and 6pm on Monday or Tuesday. I assume this was an overtime task for my VARO.

I personally don't believe anything eBenefits says when it comes to the projected dates work will be accomplished. In my experience as well as most others here, those dates are completely spurious and based on a system guess when specific gates are hit within their automated system.

If you're watching a "claim" within eBenefits, you're likely retired military and had to wait for DFAS to complete the pay audit before the VA will then redo its own pay math then pay you when that calculation is complete and approved. The problem is that the same people who rate and approve claims are the same people who calculate and approve retro payments. As one VSO told me once, their priority is paying the veteran something each month, then they get around to paying retro as the opportunity presents itself. It can be a long wait.

Keep an eye on the payment history in eBenefits. That should give you an idea if money has actually been queued up once the claim closes. Mine hit pretty fast once the process finally completed.

• Like 3

I hope the 1800 number is wrong. Told me that they can take up to a year before the claim is closed.

I have a back pay of around 61k coming to me.

I am not retired military but I am 100% service connected.

I have a question also bout what I should do when I get my back pay.

Do you think it would be more beneficial to me if I opened a secured credit card of 10k?
I have a very poor credit score at the moment for the time I left service till the day I got va was about 2 years.

My biggest debt is a medical bill that I have prior to being awarded va compensation.

Is it possible to pay like a minimum on that bill or do I have pay in full?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are 100% you can ask for forgiveness on many medical an other bills. You can ask to pay mminimum as long as you pay something you agree to they back off on calling you.

Talk to them and or lookin to getting bill cancelled. Good Luck

Archer...congrats. My claim closed on 2 Apr 14. Received my package shortly thereafter. Received my DFAS adjusted pay on 13 May and VA Retropay on 24 May 14. Went from 90-100%, retropay back to Oct 09. Once the review audit is conducted at DFAS and received by the VA it is normally pretty fast. DFAS sends out their audits between the 19th and 21st day of each month. Hang in there....the heavy lifting is over!

Archer---

What do you consider "big debt"?

If the forgiveness avenue doesn't work, then a rule of thumb is If a person has debts equivalent to their annual income then they should attempt to file bankruptcy protection. It is silly for a person with a fixed income to use a large amount of their retro pay to payoff a substantial debt. Or to take that money from their fixed monthly income. If they do, they will just continue to live in the poverty cycle. People filing bankruptcy typically get to keep their home and 2 vehicles.

Archer, if you incurred the medical debt at any time after your retroactive date, then you should contact fee-based office and have them pay it. Look at it like this, had you filed your claim and a decision would have been made that day, they you would have received all of you medical treatment from the VA system. However, seeing you had to wait for the decision, the retroactive date becomes the date that you would have been eligible for VA healthcare. I have successfully gotten reimbursement for medical and dental costs what were incurred while we were waiting on a decision.

The Fee Based Office should be located at either the VA Hospital, or at one of the VA clinics. Someone should be able to direct you. There are some documents that you are going to need to get on your own, like the medical claim forms and EOBs (explanation of benefits) if you can, and they should be able to either reimburse you for out of pocket expenses or pay directly to the provider. It takes a little time but if you are entitled to the reimbursement then it's worth it.

This is also true for your spouse and children (for medical only through ChampVA) if you are rated at 100%.

• Like 1

Archer, if you incurred the medical debt at any time after your retroactive date, then you should contact fee-based office and have them pay it. Look at it like this, had you filed your claim and a decision would have been made that day, they you would have received all of you medical treatment from the VA system. However, seeing you had to wait for the decision, the retroactive date becomes the date that you would have been eligible for VA healthcare. I have successfully gotten reimbursement for medical and dental costs what were incurred while we were waiting on a decision.

The Fee Based Office should be located at either the VA Hospital, or at one of the VA clinics. Someone should be able to direct you. There are some documents that you are going to need to get on your own, like the medical claim forms and EOBs (explanation of benefits) if you can, and they should be able to either reimburse you for out of pocket expenses or pay directly to the provider. It takes a little time but if you are entitled to the reimbursement then it's worth it.

This is also true for your spouse and children (for medical only through ChampVA) if you are rated at 100%.

If I remember right, I believe fee basis must also agree that the medical bills were due to health problems that had to be addressed right away.

Archer first of all congrats!! I got the bbe last week inrcrease from 40% to 60%. It says 60% with an effective date of December 2011. My increase was 30% for anxiety. Do I get a retro pay? I am also a retired AF so they were taking the 40% from my retired pay. Do I get that back also?

Still have yet to get my backpay and ebenefits states that the claim has been past the due date as of the 19th of last month.

I love how long it takes to sign a piece of paperwork.

• HadIt.com Elder

Fee base should pay for medical bills you incurred while waiting for service connection if the bills are for SC conditions. They paid for my teeth while I waited for TDIU. I had to fight for it but it can be done. I would create a 6 month emergency fund with my retro and use the rest to pay bills with highest interest rate first. If you get a credit card use it just like cash. Pay off the balance every month and don't borrow money with it. I think I could teach a course in personal finance since my wife had to file for bankruptcy while we were still just a couple. I could not pay her bills, and she could not in 20 years. We tried to negotiate with creditors but they said "We don't do business like that", so I told them to expect bankruptcy filing. If they had negotiated in good faith I could have paid even though I did not create these debts.

If you earn any amount of money you can start a Roth IRA. This is a gift from Uncle to those who have money to use it. Earned income goes in and comes out tax free after 5 years. Almost all investments are there to favor those with money enough to use them. If you get less than about 80,000 a year in regular income your capital gains are tax free is you are married. Both dividends and capital gains are taxed at either 20% or 15% or 0% rate. So when you get some money pay off immediate debts you can't shuck and start an investment program. Even a few hundred a month can be a great start. I did it when I was able to work and got lucky with investments. Capitalism works for those with capital.

John

Opened a 3k credit card secured through wells fargo about a month ago my credit has gone up 60 points just by doing so.

I have used about 400 dollars worth of the credit card last month payed back the 400. Now this month alone I have used about 200 so far... and plan on using about 400 more. I have about 3k in the bank other than this card that is going to be used to pay off debt that I collected over the years as soon as my back pay hits. I was told to place 10k in a CD and then borrow from it as though it was a personal loan? If that is what I should do I am probably going to borrow from the CD in order to buy a car, truck, bike.. not sure which yet.

I am standing right now at a credit of 630.

• HadIt.com Elder

My biggest debt is a medical bill that I have prior to being awarded va compensation.

Is it possible to pay like a minimum on that bill or do I have pay in full?

What ever you do, don't mention the award or amount to anyone that might be involved at any level

in a possible collection process. You may be able to work with the medical providers to setup a payment plan.

Depending on the details, it may be possible to get the VA to pay the bill, or part of it.

There is a way to submit such a claim, and naturally, a VA form.

First is the bill for treatment of what is now service connected?

Did any part occur after you sent in your claim or after the EDD of the award?

I'm far far from the expert you would need to consult over such an issue. (Lawyer time?)

I certainly wish that I had complete records of major medical treatment and cost for what are now SC'd conditions.

If the VA charged you co-pay, etc. for treatment prior to the award or after, you can request "an insurance audit".

(Which may be just the tip of the iceberg.)

Edited by Chuck75 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The bill is for the 5th day out of service I ended up being rushed to the hospital and sent to a mental facility for 3 weeks. The mental facility and the hospital are both billing me for services.

• HadIt.com Elder

The Dallas Fee Basis is not worth the powder it would take to blow it up.