VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactive Back Pay.

Rate this question

Archer

Question

My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.

Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?

Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?

My biggest debt is a medical bill that I have prior to being awarded va compensation.

Is it possible to pay like a minimum on that bill or do I have pay in full?

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are 100% you can ask for forgiveness on many medical an other bills. You can ask to pay mminimum as long as you pay something you agree to they back off on calling you.

Talk to them and or lookin to getting bill cancelled. Good Luck

Archer...congrats. My claim closed on 2 Apr 14. Received my package shortly thereafter. Received my DFAS adjusted pay on 13 May and VA Retropay on 24 May 14. Went from 90-100%, retropay back to Oct 09. Once the review audit is conducted at DFAS and received by the VA it is normally pretty fast. DFAS sends out their audits between the 19th and 21st day of each month. Hang in there....the heavy lifting is over!

Archer---

What do you consider "big debt"?

If the forgiveness avenue doesn't work, then a rule of thumb is If a person has debts equivalent to their annual income then they should attempt to file bankruptcy protection. It is silly for a person with a fixed income to use a large amount of their retro pay to payoff a substantial debt. Or to take that money from their fixed monthly income. If they do, they will just continue to live in the poverty cycle. People filing bankruptcy typically get to keep their home and 2 vehicles.

Archer, if you incurred the medical debt at any time after your retroactive date, then you should contact fee-based office and have them pay it. Look at it like this, had you filed your claim and a decision would have been made that day, they you would have received all of you medical treatment from the VA system. However, seeing you had to wait for the decision, the retroactive date becomes the date that you would have been eligible for VA healthcare. I have successfully gotten reimbursement for medical and dental costs what were incurred while we were waiting on a decision.

The Fee Based Office should be located at either the VA Hospital, or at one of the VA clinics. Someone should be able to direct you. There are some documents that you are going to need to get on your own, like the medical claim forms and EOBs (explanation of benefits) if you can, and they should be able to either reimburse you for out of pocket expenses or pay directly to the provider. It takes a little time but if you are entitled to the reimbursement then it's worth it.

This is also true for your spouse and children (for medical only through ChampVA) if you are rated at 100%.

Archer, if you incurred the medical debt at any time after your retroactive date, then you should contact fee-based office and have them pay it. Look at it like this, had you filed your claim and a decision would have been made that day, they you would have received all of you medical treatment from the VA system. However, seeing you had to wait for the decision, the retroactive date becomes the date that you would have been eligible for VA healthcare. I have successfully gotten reimbursement for medical and dental costs what were incurred while we were waiting on a decision.

The Fee Based Office should be located at either the VA Hospital, or at one of the VA clinics. Someone should be able to direct you. There are some documents that you are going to need to get on your own, like the medical claim forms and EOBs (explanation of benefits) if you can, and they should be able to either reimburse you for out of pocket expenses or pay directly to the provider. It takes a little time but if you are entitled to the reimbursement then it's worth it.

This is also true for your spouse and children (for medical only through ChampVA) if you are rated at 100%.

If I remember right, I believe fee basis must also agree that the medical bills were due to health problems that had to be addressed right away.