VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Retroactive Back Pay.

Rate this question

Archer

Question

My claim is scheduled to close tomorrow for my backpay.

Does anyone know if it does close how long till the backpay hits the bank?

Also does information only get updated on our claims whenever the site is down?

Archer first of all congrats!! I got the bbe last week inrcrease from 40% to 60%. It says 60% with an effective date of December 2011. My increase was 30% for anxiety. Do I get a retro pay? I am also a retired AF so they were taking the 40% from my retired pay. Do I get that back also?

Still have yet to get my backpay and ebenefits states that the claim has been past the due date as of the 19th of last month.

I love how long it takes to sign a piece of paperwork.

• HadIt.com Elder

Fee base should pay for medical bills you incurred while waiting for service connection if the bills are for SC conditions. They paid for my teeth while I waited for TDIU. I had to fight for it but it can be done. I would create a 6 month emergency fund with my retro and use the rest to pay bills with highest interest rate first. If you get a credit card use it just like cash. Pay off the balance every month and don't borrow money with it. I think I could teach a course in personal finance since my wife had to file for bankruptcy while we were still just a couple. I could not pay her bills, and she could not in 20 years. We tried to negotiate with creditors but they said "We don't do business like that", so I told them to expect bankruptcy filing. If they had negotiated in good faith I could have paid even though I did not create these debts.

If you earn any amount of money you can start a Roth IRA. This is a gift from Uncle to those who have money to use it. Earned income goes in and comes out tax free after 5 years. Almost all investments are there to favor those with money enough to use them. If you get less than about 80,000 a year in regular income your capital gains are tax free is you are married. Both dividends and capital gains are taxed at either 20% or 15% or 0% rate. So when you get some money pay off immediate debts you can't shuck and start an investment program. Even a few hundred a month can be a great start. I did it when I was able to work and got lucky with investments. Capitalism works for those with capital.

John

Opened a 3k credit card secured through wells fargo about a month ago my credit has gone up 60 points just by doing so.

I have used about 400 dollars worth of the credit card last month payed back the 400. Now this month alone I have used about 200 so far... and plan on using about 400 more. I have about 3k in the bank other than this card that is going to be used to pay off debt that I collected over the years as soon as my back pay hits. I was told to place 10k in a CD and then borrow from it as though it was a personal loan? If that is what I should do I am probably going to borrow from the CD in order to buy a car, truck, bike.. not sure which yet.

I am standing right now at a credit of 630.

• HadIt.com Elder

My biggest debt is a medical bill that I have prior to being awarded va compensation.

Is it possible to pay like a minimum on that bill or do I have pay in full?

What ever you do, don't mention the award or amount to anyone that might be involved at any level

in a possible collection process. You may be able to work with the medical providers to setup a payment plan.

Depending on the details, it may be possible to get the VA to pay the bill, or part of it.

There is a way to submit such a claim, and naturally, a VA form.

First is the bill for treatment of what is now service connected?

Did any part occur after you sent in your claim or after the EDD of the award?

I'm far far from the expert you would need to consult over such an issue. (Lawyer time?)

I certainly wish that I had complete records of major medical treatment and cost for what are now SC'd conditions.

If the VA charged you co-pay, etc. for treatment prior to the award or after, you can request "an insurance audit".

(Which may be just the tip of the iceberg.)

Edited by Chuck75

The bill is for the 5th day out of service I ended up being rushed to the hospital and sent to a mental facility for 3 weeks. The mental facility and the hospital are both billing me for services.