VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got Mail Went To The So

Rate this question

Guest jangrin

Question

Hello everyone,

We have a few questions, we would appreciate your responses so we can make a determination of what we should do over the next few weeks or months while we fiqure out where we are going to move.

In the mail today my husband got his very first ever letter for a C&P exam. We needed to go to the SO, we took the letter with us. These are the things discussed and the questions.

1. The C&P exam is schedule in 11 days. According to the SO it is with a very nice person. This person can do the exam for everything but the PTSD portion of the claim. The person is an NP. Is this going to be a problem? Can an NP truly assess DMII, CAD, atherosclerosis, HBP, hyperlipidemia, peripheral neuropathy, IBS, ED, tennitis, hearing loss and possibly PTSD?

My husband has a report form Dr. Bash, A report from SSA M.D. specialty in internal medicine- plus various radiology reports from multiple MDs.plus MD primary

He has 1 PHD w/ VA for depression- 1 PHD doctor with SSA for PTSD with depression- 1 VA contract LCFW for PTSD with depression

your opinion

2. The SO said that the RO also sent a work questionaire. Does any one know what this might be? My husband just was awarded the SSDI and he also applied for TDIU when he sent in Dr. Bash's report to the RO.

your opinion

3. We gave the SO our P.O. Box number for our mail and a cell phone number, we will be out of our home in about 15 days so we wanted her to have a way to contact us. We feel that we should leave this claim in the current RO until my husband is SC'd for something. She says to put it on "vacation status"? Then move when we find a place to live.

your opinion

4. Will my husband get an appointment for the PTSD right away or could that be a while off?

your opinion

Thanks everyone just trying to make smart decisions,

Jangrin and Chuckles :rolleyes::lol:

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jan and Chuckles:

My experience is that they usally try to schedule C&P's close together. The work history is important and favors your husband. I would make copies of SS Award Letter, fill out the work History get copies of SS payments for wages going back as far as you can and include them. Make copies of everything for your own records.

Having a NP Nurse Practitioner do C&P stinks in my opinion but you have to play with the cards you are dealt.

Good Luck

Keeping it at same place may be your best bet.

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe the NP will just accept the facts as presented and not try and be Dr. Ben Casey like some of the idiot residents that do C&P exams. My primary care doctor is some kind of Dr. Assistent and she is the best I have had and cooperates at all levels. Some of the worst jerks are actually doctors.

Guest terrysturgis

All my C&P's were done by a NP and she was nice to me and I am 100% P&T. Could not complain. I am sure that she has an MD as a boss somewhere at the Va checking her info. I'm sure there are some here that have had bad exams by a NP but I've also had some by MD's that sucked. And as you know my situation is a lot like your husbands. Good news is a C&P is scheduled. It should not be long now. Good luck! Terry Sturgis

It has been my personal experience within the last two years that all my C&P exams were not close together, some months apart, and a couple a year apart. Look at your C&P notification to report letter. It should state in the beginning of the letter exactly what conditions you are being examined for.

In my case, and last C&P was for tinnitus, and that had to be done in the audiology department of the VAMC.

Look at your letter good, I had a bunch of different doctors for my C&Ps, only one of the Dr.s did the PTSD and cognitive disorder. Then I had a neuropsychologist, a neurologist, and then a separate Dr for the exam for Skull Loss and Skin Disorder together. Had my first C&P in Jul 05 and the last Jun 06.

It has been my personal experience within the last two years that all my C&P exams were not close together, some months apart, and a couple a year apart. Look at your C&P notification to report letter. It should state in the beginning of the letter exactly what conditions you are being examined for.

In my case, and last C&P was for tinnitus, and that had to be done in the audiology department of the VAMC.

Look at your letter good, I had a bunch of different doctors for my C&Ps, only one of the Dr.s did the PTSD and cognitive disorder. Then I had a neuropsychologist, a neurologist, and then a separate Dr for the exam for Skull Loss and Skin Disorder together. Had my first C&P in Jul 05 and the last Jun 06.

Thanks RockyA,

Double checked the C&P letter. It says it is for a disability evaluation. That makes sense now because the SO said the RO also mailed a work history questionaire (we should get it today). My husband just got awarded this week for SSD. We went to the SO to have her mail in the medical award letter for the C-file. I think I will have my husband take copies of all his reports/ examination records to his C&P exam. I'm sure this is the exam for TDIU- he sent in his claim for unemployability when he sent in Dr. Bash's report about 4 weeks ago.

I think things are moving along ok. But this is first exam. No others have been scheduled.

Jangrin :rolleyes: