VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va To Dfas To Va Compensation Distribution

Rate this question

USMC91211

Question

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is my first post on this website and overall any website regarding VA Compensation (Information Inquiries).

During my search(es) via this vast web, I have come across multiple articles regarding 'issues' dealing with VA Benefits. So here's my background in hopes of someone shedding some light and recommendations on my situation.

Background. I am a Retired United States Marine with 20 years of faithful and honorable service. My VA Compensation Rating is currently at 80% (Originally dated in July 2012). I retired in July 2011 and have yet to receive compensation pay - backdated to August 2011.

1. ‘ERRORS’ which initially prolonged Compensation Pay-

1.A. VA Rep filled out my compensation application at the VA Hospital. The VA Rep annotated, "VET elects Pension vs Compensation"

1.A.1. "ME" not understanding the "LAW", questioned this determination by the VA - given that I rated Concurrent Pay based on my rating being over 50% and 20 year retiree.

1.A.2. This was rectified when "I" submitted the following documents in May 2013, via overnight USPS. (NOTE: Confirmation via the VA having received the documents.)

1.A.2.A. VA-Form 21-651. Election of Compensation in lieu of Pension.
1.A.2.B. Hand written letter addressed to DVA Winston-Salem.
1.A.2.C. "MY" DD-214. Certified True Copy, given that the VA continued to claim to not have it, neither from "ME" or the U.S. Marine Corps.
1.A.2.D. An Email enclosure – A detailed response due to an IRIS Inquiry; signed by a department head at IRIS dated in April 2013. This email was important because it detailed what was “left to do” before I could receive concurrent compensation pay.
1.A.2.E. VA-Form 20-572. A change of address form.

1.B. Appeal via phone regarding elements of the claim that required a doctor to see me in person. This was mainly due to two personal conditions. Hindsight, had I known this would have prolonged my Compensation even longer; I would rather live with all other conditions instead of the DAMN stress the “VA” has caused "ME."

1.B.1. The “VA System” does not afford the VET the proper flexibility to work and be seen by a doctor based on unique situations. My job was the unique situation, I had to fly-out to my work place in the NCR and was then outsourced to various job sites for two to three months at a time. From my home of record, I had to schedule my appointments in advance - something the VA health system does not allow if it is past 30 days. Absurd. In order to be seen I would have to decline a work cycle in order to be seen by a doctor who at best would not detail the issue in one setting – based on two to three years dealing with the system. Further, declining work meant walking away from my job! Absurd!

1.B.2. "MY" claim was outsourced to DVA Hawaii due to their lower “op-tempo.” "MY" claim was re-adjudicated in November 2013, and once again the finalized rating is 80%.

2. Current Day. The Claim is still under “Claim Received” for Military Pay in Lieu of Compensation, with a generic processing range of six months (Feb 2014 thru Jul 2014). My thoughts are that it will take 3 months for it to kick, starting in July. This would place the claim distribution in Oct 2014 – totaling between $56k and $57k, backdated to Aug 2011.

3. Now My Question to you. Given the dates Feb 2014 thru Jul 2014 – What is the expected wait time for the VA to process the Compensation Pay via DFAS and distribute the backpay funds accordingly? My understanding via DFAS is that it takes them approximately 30 days to processes the paperwork from date received. I am unsure how long it will take the VA to process the DFAS paperwork once it has received back.

Your knowledge is important and I would appreciate your feedback. I believe I have outlined everything I know as of now. Any recommendations for action to be taken is greatly welcomed.

R/S

USMC91211

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit sorry it took so long to approve we are a bit short staffed now. You should get a promotion soon and be able to psot in real time.