VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chiropractic Care ,,, Are We Eligible. Or Not Under Va Laws

Rate this topic

yes or no

Edited by 63SIERRA

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

63Sierra, I have had similar experiences. My VA PCP didn't even know there was a spine care clinic in the hospital and denied knowing about the referrals to the the Dallas VA Spine hospital. I literally had to show her on my iphone. I really got irritated with her. Much like the comment from her nurse stating that my back problems are due to my being overweight.

Anyways, I would press for the referral. I did. I got the appointment, but I couldn't go since I landed in the hospital for a week with the ITP condition. I don't recall exactly but it should be under theraputic services or something of that nature.

I do recall reading somewhere that if you are in need of services for a service connected issue and the services are available locally that there is a way to do it on a fee basis type of arrangement.

I agree 63SIERRA, I kind of fired my VA PCP, well what I stated was that I did not believe that she had my best interest in mind and that I and my private providers would be managing my care, however, I know I'm going to have to keep seeing VA docs. No matter the frustration or aggravation I still have to maintain some medical continuity with the VA providers. I just got fed up with all the BS, downplaying of conditions, ignorance of programs, and playing ignorant to basic medical knowledge. I speak from experience as I had this provider three times before back in 2008. I had to pull teeth to get her to order X-rays for my knee issues.

I kind of get concerned when I think about something. I wonder how things would have turned out if the VA medical care was all I had when I came down with ITP. It does concern me quite a bit.

Anyways off point, I know that the OKCVA has chiropractic care, along with a Spine clinic, and physical therapists. It is listed in their directory. I called their offices before I spoke to my VA PCP, when I mentioned it to my VA PCP she stated she wasn't aware of any such programs. I called BS. There is even a program out of Dallas, TX for veterans with spinal cord injuries, Spine Care Center HUB, the only way to get in though is through a referral from your VA PCP though. She wasn't too happy with me when I informed her of this.

From my understanding it is a covered treatment option, chiropractic care that is, there may be some paperwork involved and referrals, however, it is possible to get. I was just using my private provider for chiropractic care but I was in the process of getting seen with the VA except I landed in the hospital.

Just my 2cents.

heres something else puzzling me, I was going thru my medical records a while back and noticed my previous PCP had ordered a consult to a local Chiropractic clinic. I WAS NEVER NOTIFIED OF THIS . On the bottom of the refferal, it says discontinued. So its like I requested chiro care, the doctor wrote up a refferal and cancelled it all one one sheet of paper. So heres the question. why did she do that? why wasnt I told of a refferal. what did she have to gain, or cover her ass by writing the referral, but immediately cancelling it.

Bro I can tell you the only person who can really answer that question is your provider. You could shoot them an email, I would be curious to read about there response if they would even provide you one.

I have use a chiropractor for many years. It helps with some of the pressure and pain, however, I am one that doesn't believe that chiropractic care will solve every problem. It is a combination of treatment options that help, however, not one on its own can or will really take care of all the issues.

VAMCs have chiropractors? Who would have known?

63Sierra, maybe it's time for a new PCP. Seems like you're to the point you need someone new. There is a process to do that, some form they have to send you.

Call the primary care team you're under and ask for a new PCP. They'll ask why. Tell them. They'll send you the official form. Be ready to engage the ombudsman at your VAMC if you don't get shifted quickly.

VAMCs have chiropractors? Who would have known?

63Sierra, maybe it's time for a new PCP. Seems like you're to the point you need someone new. There is a process to do that, some form they have to send you.

Call the primary care team you're under and ask for a new PCP. They'll ask why. Tell them. They'll send you the official form. Be ready to engage the ombudsman at your VAMC if you don't get shifted quickly.

Oh yeah, bet money on that one. They will try to take care of their own and pretend all is grand. It's only when you push the right chanels do you yield results.