VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Psychiatrist Diagnosis, (Is It Enough For Approval)

Rate this question

Jesuslives316

Question

so I've searched these forums. And I have not found any forums relating to this topic. I recently went for a comp and pen exam after filing a claim for PTSD. I have the stressor and nexus easy, but my concern is that I haven't gone to any ptsd counseling at the VA. The VA psychologist at the c and p said that I have PTSD which meets criteria under dsm4 and dsm5. So I have the copy of her exam from Roi. I haven't been to any PTSD treatment through the VA. Will her report be enough to get me a percentage. I also have a history of depression, which is a symptom of ptsd. and it is well stated in my PTSD diagnosis exam from the psychiatrist. I have a history of medication that I've been taking for the depression and I would like to know if I will get approved for PTSD or depression. I can supply more info once the forum gets rolling, thankyou

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think you will get connected for PTSD as well. Then you need to go to work on getting your percentage increased. You can do this via treatment records and records of worsening condition. For instance, if you can't keep a job due to PTSD that would be a big factor in getting substantial rating.

"I would like to know if I will get approved for PTSD or depression."

Did you formally claim both the PTSD and the depression as due to your service?

VA will only rate one MH disability for comp.It pays to claim any theory for a basis of entitlement.

Is the depression (documented via private treatment records) due to the PTSD or to your stressor?

With 70 % SC now, are you able to work?

Can you give us a breakdown of what the 70% is for?

Can you raise other theories of entitlement in addition to the PTSD claim, that perhaps another SC has caused the depression?

Then again, if you have the VA DX (which you do) of PTSD, and a provable stressor...I would think VA could consider all of the private depression treatment records you have, as due to the PTSD.

Have you gone to our PTSD forum here? The PTSD criteria changed in 2010.

DO you get SSDI and is it solely for SC disabilities? Or for a potential SC disability such as the depression or PTSD?

Edited by Berta

The only downside I see to not having prior treatment or diagnosis of PTSD is that your effective date might be the date of your C&P-since that was the date of diagnosis.

Edited by NavyWife

Hi Berta, thank you for the response, I'm 40 for back 30 for neck 20 right upper extremity and 10 left lower extremity. I filed a claim for ptsd tbi migraines and iu for my back and neck condition. I had a c and p for all these and they all have at least as likely than not which is great. My only concern is the ptsd issue I mentioned in my first post. Unrelated to my post for my iu claim I have a doctors opinion stating that I'm unable to work and years of outside treatment documents, even a letter from my former employer stating that I can't do my job because of my back problems, I probably won't get iu for this because I got a copy of the c and p report for iu and the doc said I could do sedentary work which is a crock, so I don't have high hopes on iu. Anyways my depression started after the stressor. But because I didn't put in a claim for it they didn't give me a c and p for it. But in the ptsd diagnosis the psychiatrist documented it a lot so I'm sure I'll get one mental health rating. One more concern I have is for my migraines claim, my first c and p was with the neurologist, and he wrote down everything I stated, he put down the criteria that meets the 50 percent rating for migraines ( completely prostrating ). He even linked the tbi to my migraines, with an at least as likely statement. But I had another c and p with an ignoramus doctor who wrote my migraines were not prostrating, he screwed me and wrote everything opposite of what I told him. I am being treated at the va for my migraines and I have a lot medication for them in my va records, my question is are they going to take the neurologists recommendation which states the 50 percent criteria or the other c and p opinion that said I don't have prostrating migraines. Thank you everyone for chiming in.