VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating Just Upped To 80%. Now Incompetent? Withholding Back Pay.

Rate this question

ledbthand

Question

Well I have a lot of things and I don't know where to start.

When I got out of the Navy in '07 I received a rating of 10% for tinnitus, and 50% for anxiety/depression/panic disorder. Also 0% for GERD, 0% for hiatal hernia and 0% for the tendonitis in my ankle I broke while in.

In June of 2013 I filed for an increase for my anxiety disorder, GERD/hernia and my ankle. I received a letter this month stating that they were increasing my overall rating from 60% to 80%. They raised my anxiety to 70%, and the ankle and hernia to 10% each.

Part of the letter also stated that "A finding of incompetency is proposed." So they will start paying me for 80% on June 1 2014 but they are withholding the $5,000 or so in back pay and not letting me have it.

I just don't really understand what would cause the incompetency proposal or really what that even means for my wife and I. We are buying our first house with my VA Loan and I would consider that as showing I'm financially responsible.

I could have my wife who I've been with for about 5 years write a letter stating I don't have problems managing my own funds and bills responsibly. I also could have my mother write one from when I lived with her for about 6 months after my first wife and I divorced.

Any idea if it's possible to have that back pay released to my wife at least? That money would come in handy for moving expenses, like closing costs, new washer / dryer / refridgerator etc.

On top of this I would like to ask if I should file for IU now? I haven't been able to work since I got out. In fact I was put out of the Navy early because of the anxiety and depression. With the ankle I can't stand for long periods and with the hernia I can't lift anything heavy without getting nausea. Also with the anxiety/depression/panic disorder I just can't leave the house some days. I know it sounds like I'm lazy and whiny and "should just get over it" which is what a lot of people tell me, but I figured I could ask you guys since you might have had that same lines thrown at you tons of times.

They finally came out yesterday to "check up on me". The guy was here for less than 20 minutes, didn't even go any where in my house, except the kitchen, and filled out the paper work to let me be my own fiduciary. Seems like a lot of wasted time and undue stress to put me through. He said that he has to come back next year and do the same but will release me from the Brady act and having to deal with having a fiduciary. Even though, technically, I'm my own fiduciary.

He also said it's been happening a lot lately to younger veterans. So be careful not to tell your Dr. "My wife pays the bills".

• HadIt.com Elder

They finally came out yesterday to "check up on me". The guy was here for less than 20 minutes, didn't even go any where in my house, except the kitchen, and filled out the paper work to let me be my own fiduciary. Seems like a lot of wasted time and undue stress to put me through. He said that he has to come back next year and do the same but will release me from the Brady act and having to deal with having a fiduciary. Even though, technically, I'm my own fiduciary.

He also said it's been happening a lot lately to younger veterans. So be careful not to tell your Dr. "My wife pays the bills".

At this point, I'd appeal the assignment to the Fiduciary scheme, citing the investigator's report, etc. (I hope you have a copy)