VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Weight Loss Without Etiology?

Rate this question

BlastDaddy

Question

Has anyone ever filed a claim for weight loss without etiology? I have been going through lots of medical issues for the past several years. but as of late I have been loosing weight and the doctors can not explain why. I was weighing 179 and now I go back and fourth from 135 to 145. I lost the weight in about three months and have not been able to be able to gain it back in the past year.

I complained to my doctor about a year ago when the problem started and the first thing she said was quote "You have PTSD and Major Depression are you taking your medications". I got mad and requested a new doctor at the VA. The first thing he did was look and see I complained about blood in my stool and ordered a colonoscopy. The results were a little abnormal with a few extra pileups but not uncommon at my age of 50. He also did a Major blood work up on me with nothing showing up. I was recommended to a dietitian at that point. His conclusion was weight loss without etiology.

I'm not a large man. I'm only 5'8 and at 135 to 145 I am weak and look as if I have cancer or something. Any thoughts on what's going on or anyone else gone through this?

• HadIt.com Elder

You should check into this. Medical Evaluation from Head to Toes.

Pete53,

I have had upper and lower GI's from the VA and exams from Scott & White Hospital but no doctor can figure this out. I wish I knew what it was. I told both hospitals and sets of doctors I'm always tired even when I get up. I don't sleep well and hardly ever more than a few hours at a time.

They always say its PTSD, Major Depressive Disorder, or Fibromyalgia. Always the same thing.

Thanks.

I'm just getting into the va system. I was in desert storm February to august 1991. I'm tired of hurting all the time, with my hands and feet going intermittently numb. I'm 44 years old and feel like I'm 60. I don't know if they will ever pay me, but I figure I can make them treat me. Who knows, maybe they will eventually come to the truth by the time I'm 60. Seems like they found a new way to tell us gulf war illness is all in our heads.

They told us it was all in our heads back then too, just less subtly. Then Khamisiya came to light, and it became more difficult. I guess with ptsd and depression being the hot button issues today its easier to tell us we are imagining it again.

• HadIt.com Elder

Depression can cause weigh loss or weight gain.If you are not eating they need to look into supplementing your diet. Good Luck

UPDATE:

I eventually began to gain weight again. The doctors could not realize what had caused me to lose the weight. I finally got back up to 165lbs. and have maintained it up to recently.

Again my body is going through the transformation of constant pain and headaches and it seems I am loosing weight again. I notified my doctor via myhealthvet that I was having these problems again. I was surprised when I received a call and asked me to come in for a lab and a check up. (The VA NEVER done this for me before).

Weighing in at a total 137lbs the doctor said I defiantly had something wrong. But he does not see the problem. Referred me back to MH.

I guess my shrink can explain it to me.

Meantime I will be going back to Scott & WHite and hopefully they will figure it out this time.

• HadIt.com Elder

BlastDaddy

you need to be eating some of my wife hot butterd buttermilk biscuits and cream gravy buddy...lol

that will put some weight on ya forsure.

Nah just kidding,

taking medications have a different effect on each person, I am no Dr but my spouse takes a lot of medications and she can't gain weight no matter what she eats or how much...her Dr has said its the meds she takes after more testing she went through, if you notice your weigth loss after you started taking your meds then that's probably why you can't gain, ask your Dr if they can reduce some of your meds and kinda explore with it to see if you can gain some weight ? but only do it under Dr Supervision

jmo

........................Buck.