VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Weight Loss Without Etiology?

Rate this question

BlastDaddy

Question

Has anyone ever filed a claim for weight loss without etiology? I have been going through lots of medical issues for the past several years. but as of late I have been loosing weight and the doctors can not explain why. I was weighing 179 and now I go back and fourth from 135 to 145. I lost the weight in about three months and have not been able to be able to gain it back in the past year.

I complained to my doctor about a year ago when the problem started and the first thing she said was quote "You have PTSD and Major Depression are you taking your medications". I got mad and requested a new doctor at the VA. The first thing he did was look and see I complained about blood in my stool and ordered a colonoscopy. The results were a little abnormal with a few extra pileups but not uncommon at my age of 50. He also did a Major blood work up on me with nothing showing up. I was recommended to a dietitian at that point. His conclusion was weight loss without etiology.

I'm not a large man. I'm only 5'8 and at 135 to 145 I am weak and look as if I have cancer or something. Any thoughts on what's going on or anyone else gone through this?

For your own health, you should probably get a second opinion as to the etiology of weight gain/loss. If you have to pay for it, privately, well, I would do it. You can not put a price on your health. In my town I would recommend a homeopathic physician. In my town there is a physician that combines natural medicine, such as herbal treatments, with traditional medicine, and tries to get the best of both worlds.

I agree with both of you.

I would love some biscuits and gravy.

My wife has been reviewing my medications (very many)and we are talking to the doctors about decreasing the dosages and getting off what I can.

I hate all the meds anyway.

We also set an appointment at Scott & White to be checked again. Something has to give. IMO. and it's not me. So Friday I will be looking and asking questions with the new care provider from an outside the VA agency.

We all have our ups and downs. It's just another one of those things.

Thanks guys.

If they can't find something physical, and you're already service connected for PTSD and/or Depression, then your only real option is to say the weight loss is either secondary to the psych disorders, or a side effect of the meds.

A second opinion is probably a good idea, though I doubt they will find anything. Maybe see an endocrinologist if your bloodwork didn't include a hormone panel.

Do not go see a "homeopathic physician."