vlb-all-products.jpg

Get Every E-Book and Video with Member Discount Code HADIT2016

Popular Forums Common VA Disabilities

lcurle

ptsd Waiting Game...need A Hobby

Question

lcurle    20

I figured I would lay out my situation for everyone to help me figure out the rhetoric that is the VA.

In Nov 2004 I had a C&P in Syracuse NY as part of my ETSing. I was rated at 30% for PTSD and 10% for tinnitus. I was denied all my other claims since the army "fixed" me prior to me getting out.

Right Ankle History

In 2002 I fell 30' from a training obstacle and missed the mats below and had a phase 3 ankle sprain, crutches for 2 weeks and PT after that. Later that year I was on a wash rack being the good little TC I was and managed to sprain my ankle again. Once again crutches for 2 weeks and no PT. In 2003 I was deployed to The Stan where it was humping up and down mountains. During one Op I had managed to misstep and take a spill down the mountain, only 50-60' or so. Was seen by the medic, got some anti inflammatory meds (Naproxin, lame!) and went about my job. My Medical Records show the the incident from Basic and Korea but do not show anything from deployment. Since they had me doing no PT for the final 3 months on my career and asked the million dollar question they said that I was fixed.

Middle Back

Currently have and open claim on this due to a lot of pain recently. Had xrays by a chiropractor as well as the VA. Chiro showed major compression fracture on my T1-T5 as well as my S1 and S2 out of alignment. I went to the VA and their radiology took many xrays and had determined that my scans were "Abnormal" I was denied my back due to being denied it in 2004. I submitted a 21-4138 or some support of claim paperwork citing the scans from the VA. Unsure on the outcome of this one at this time, any help would be appreciated.

PTSD

Currently rated at 50% for this, just finished a C&P for an increase, took about 2 hours to complete, examiner was mono tone and complete lack of emotion on anything. I managed to find a few IED's on deployment and told her that I don't like to drive cause people are pricks and that I "daydream" a lot about situations. When she kept pushing for more information , I don't like to tell people this, I told her that I often fantasize about current situation and how to kill people in order to escape the room. Unsure if anyone else does this, maybe I'm weird. She wanted an example so I told her that if for some reason I was not able to leave the room I would take the little medical table, or the fridge, or her computer monitor and beat her with it so I can escape. Maybe I need to be locked up I don't know. Most recently I have been visualizing this with friends and family member that do not live with me. Unsure why I have this feeling of dread and hostility towards everyone and this is the part that I hate the most. I have gotten a few dogs to help with my inability to sleep since they would bark if something was wrong in the house. I have lost a few jobs due to anger issues with customers and fellow employees. People suck and are fairly stupid. Most of my good friends know to not push me and try to not get me worked up on things as I have a tendency to go off the deep end fairly quickly.

Tinnitus

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, that about sums it up.

I am trying to get my PTSD rated higher Started Sept 2013 still "Gathering Evidence" I had added IU and my back on to the claim, but recently removed my back claim to help expedite the process. I don't know, wish I found this place sooner. Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

74 answers to this question

john999    671

You know one of our top lawyers here said the fastest way to get a PTSD claim was to walk into your exam with a baseball bat on your shoulder. You were right to let it all hang out because if you did not tell her these things you would get low balled. Are you able to work? If not you should got for TDIU. I think you can get there. Do you have service medical records that show how you hurt your ankle and back? If you had filed within one year of discharge you probably would have been home free, but who thinks of these things?

John

• Like 2

vlb-how-to-file.jpg
lcurle    20

I had filed before I got out with the VA, they denied my ankle and back but gave me PTSD and tinnitus. I have had many jobs recently and all end with the same "Anger issues" and I get terminated so right now I am currently not working. My friends hope that they rate me at 100% for my PTSD just so I have more time to get some help with it. Being an ordained ministed I have a network of friends that I can talk with about some issues, but you can see they are shying away from me daily when they dig too deep. I have been talking with some guys at the American legion and the DAV and that seems to help to talk with people who understand. Sometimes it isn't sunshine and rainbows. I feel like a shadow of my former self. I used to be big into social life, now I'm a recluse in my small town just wanting to spend time with my kids and wife.

john999    671

The VA does have vet centers where you can talk. There is also organizations of OIF/OEF vets, but maybe not in your small town. I am RVN vet, but I don't want to drive 25 miles in rush hour traffic in Tampa to Brandon to go to meetings of Vietnam Vets of America. My DAV post is pathetic. Bad part of town and nobody shows up except a few old lifers who run the post. VFW is just for drunks as is American Legion from what I see. I don't, nor ever have identified with the DAV. Being a minister maybe you could start a Vet Center. You probably had courses in counseling and you know about PTSD. Man, I am doing job placement for you and you are trying to get TDIU, ha, ha.

John

• Like 1

lcurle    20

Yeah the TDIU would be nice until I can get to 100% with my own claims. It is hard for me to drive anywhere due to the "crepatis" in my knee. Unsure if that is how it is spelled but my PCP at Robert J Dole has said that many times. Additionally with my back the radiologist stated I have some scoliosis and moderate arthritis in my mid thorax. I have to keep my back and knees moving or I can get fairly stiff. They issued me a TENS unit to use on my back....and other places I feel the need to stimulate, HAH! Anyways, just playing the waiting game for now. The expected date of completion is May 2015 with a file date of Aug 2013, fun times.

lcurle    20

Date of Claim Estimated Claim Completion Date Status Claim Type Updates Actions

06/23/2013 12/14/2014 to 07/07/2015 GATHERING OF EVIDENCE Compensation

Already had my C&P for this(PTSD)...went to Making a decision then back to gathering evidence.

Edited by lcurle

Hamslice    282

"need a Hobby"

I built a coop and bought about a hundred chickens that occupy my time while I wait for the VA......

Hamslice

• Like 4