Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

So I Refilled My Nod

Rate this question

Question

So here is the skinny. REfilled a NOD for IBS with the Phx VA., 6 months later I get a letter where I get an increase on all my other claimed disabilities, which by the way I did not ask for, but no mention of the IBS for which I filled the NOD to start with.

IBS is documented by the service and verified by VA doctor. (during Desert Storm they fed us veggies of the local economy without knowing that they fertilized it with human waste so the whole unit had the shits.......some of us never recovered!)

Has this happened to anyone else? I mean it was black and white written what I wanted increased and that is exactly what they did not look at, ie I did not have appointment for, except for my normal stuff: back issues from being blown up in 2005 in Iraq, TBI and joint issues i guess 22 years as a paratrooper took its toll on my joints...........than they tacked on PTSD which I did not ask for (personally think it is bs, no different from what a firefighter and police officers see or deal with and they do not get PTSD).......anyway that is just me.

any input welcome

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Did they send you a SOC? When did you get the notification that your other conditions were being increased?

If it looks like they think they're done with your NOD and if it were me, and this is just off the cuff and without a lot of experience here, I'd write them a letter, point out that your appealed contention was not mentioned in their latest decision communications, and that you mean for it to be processed as part of your appeal. I'd thank them for determining that an increase in the rest of your conditions was warranted. However, you were concerned about your SC and/or rating for IBS and would like to have that addressed now, please.

Some might suggest sending an IRIS email to ask. If you just got the decision notification, that might be OK if you want to check the status of the IBS decision appeal. Maybe somehow they kicked out an increase for what you didn't ask while still processing the question of IBS and a second decision from them is pending? You'll know better than any of us if this is the case. However, don't we have something like 60 days to respond to a SOC with a Form 9? If the RO starts arguing that they sent you a SOC (your notification that your SC conditions were increased in rating) and you didn't respond in a timely manner, that's a major uphill fight to fix. That 60 day timeline, if I've got that right, is a major deadline and I'd do whatever to ensure that you don't get buffaloed into missing it. Your signature on a letter is an official notification that something isn't right.

Thinking about this more as I type, if you look and determine that they sent you a SOC and did not mention IBS, I'd take that as a slient "denied" and file a Form 9 before the deadline. Maybe you could fill one out and send it in with your letter, just to cover the bases to ensure no surprise defeat?

Edited by TiredCoastie

"So here is the skinny. REfilled a NOD for IBS with the Phx VA'

what happened with the first NOD?

sounds like the carrot and the stick trick to me. fool you with temporarily giving you an increase in your other contentions hoping you will say.,, hmm I got more money, to hell with the IBS.. then later on, after u drop the IBS and winning it will be MUCH harder , they lower the ratings on your other conditions. DONT LET THE CLAIM DIE.

ALSO can u post the information regarding the food that was aquired locally that was grown in human feces. possibly documentation that others can use in thier claims. thanks

Edited by 63SIERRA

• HadIt.com Elder

Just so you know "PTSD is real" and police officers and fire fighters do get it. Not all but some, just like some veterans. (Now, personally, I think IBS is BS. Guys have a little diarrhea and the next thing you know they want to get paid for it.) Anyway that's just me. jmo

pr

Just so you know I was kidding about the IBS stuff!!!

Edited by Philip Rogers

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• KMac1181 went up a rank
      Rookie
    • Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use