VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Spousal Benefit From Ssa

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have SSD and my wife has SSA. I make much more than her on SSD. She took SSA at age 62. I was told by SSA on the phone that she may be entitled to a increased spousal benefit due to large difference in our pay rates. She gets less than half of what I get. She retired early to stay home with me. She is being punished for being my caretaker. I see this happen all the time.

John

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

So I went with my wife to SSA office today and was told she won't get increase for spouse benefit. I asked for official decision. They did not want to do this at first.

They are just used to telling people that they are not eligible for this or that benefit and they go away. Same with the VA. I saw get the denial of a benefit in writing even if it is a medical benefit they deny you. When my wife's ex-husband was totally disabled due to accident my wife had tried to get some benefits from the state of Florida. She had to quit work to care for the EX. She was told by social services that she could go back to work and hire help to take care of EX. What a joke since she was making minimum wages and EX had no sick leave or disability insurance. Working people in Florida down on their luck get nothing. Professional scammers do OK if they don't mind living in the project.

I know how you feel bud. My wife had to cut back hours to take care of me, so the VA approved her recently to be my care giver and she gets paid 2k a month and my kids draw a check off my SSDI. God Bless and good luck.