VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Deferred? Ssid?

Rate this question

Officemate24

Question

I have a rating of 50% right now. I reopened my claim to include PTSD. The doctors at the VA have diagnosed me with PTSD and I have been receiving treatment for almost a year. I have been unable to hold a job due to my condition. I just got a letter saying the decision for PTSD was deferred and Im not too sure what that means. Also, I filed for SSID. Problem with this is my doctor says I should try to stay busy so I help out my father that has a landscaping company (he doesn't pay me because I am totally unreliable) and Im only doing it because the doctor told me to… do you think this will effect my SSID? How long will this deferment go on?

6 answers to this question

If you are not being paid, I would not mention the work. The VA and SSDI does like to hear of guys that work in what they call "A protective Environment". So in most cases it does not hurt you, unless you work 40 hours and have no problems. Being Deferred sounds like either the VA needs more evidence or they denied you. How long, no one knows. In 7 months my VA increased from 70 to 100%, and I was approved for SSDI in less than 10 weeks. It was not easy, I did all the leg work, put the evidence in front of their faces, and used the Govt's own laws and policies against them. God Bless and good luck bud.

thing is, I never went to c&p to be evaluated for PTSD. I was evaluated for tinnitus for the same claim and was approved. I started by going to an outpatient psych for treatment. He had encouraged me to put in the claim so I did. Do you guys think they will just take the evaluations from the outpatient program since there was no C&P?

Deferred means they are putting off a decision. That is why no C&P was scheduled yet. Most likely, the outpatient records will not be enough to get you a proper rating, so a C&P will be scheduled at some point.

Since you are not working for money, have you thought about filing for TDIU?

Whatever you do, do not start collecting a paycheck now! It will greatly complicate your claims.

TDIU--

A veteran is entitled to a 100% disability rating if he can establish that his service-connected disability[ies] preclude him from obtaining gainful employment. In VA law, such claims frequently go by the abbreviation “TDIU”, referring to a Total Disability rating based upon Individual Unemployability.

It is a common misunderstanding that a veteran can only qualify for a TDIU rating if he meets certain percentage disability requirements: namely, a single service-connected disability rating of 60%, or a combined service-connected disability rating of 70%. Unfortunately, through many of its notices to veterans, the VA is largely responsible for this misunderstanding. The truth is that a veteran can qualify for a TDIU rating any time one or more of his service-connected disability[ies] prevents him from obtaining employment, regardless of the percentage of the disability rating.