VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Corroborated Stressor

Rate this question

MikeS

Question

Hi all:

A viet nam veteran at our local VFW showed me his award letter of a claim that a VFW S.O. had filed last year for PTSD.

It said that the stressor could not be confirmed but that the stressor was corroborated due to in service medical and service records.

I don't know what was in his in-service records, but I was surprised to see those comments.

I thought that stressors had to be confirmed.

Any thoughts??

Mike

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

What they're saying is that these conditions noted in the service records corroborate what he is saying rather than having letter or verbal evidence from another person. There had to have been something documenting the stressor for teh VA to award anything.

I recently went thru the same thing over an incident that happened to me in 1979. I had gone to see their shrink, was afraid of getting kicked out so I sucked it up, along with enough booze to float a battleship in over my career in the Navy.

If he said he had traumatic experience when he got shot and then has the PH on his DD 214 this is probably what they mean.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Berta. If the CIB, CAR,PH etc is on DD214 or any of the other "automatic" stressors, then the VA should accept that as a stressor. The lists includes:

Air Force Cross Distinguished Service Cross Air Medal with “V” Device Joint Service Commendation Medal with ‘V’ Device Army Commendation Medal with ‘V’ Device Medal of Honor Bronze Star Medal with “V’ Device Navy Commendation Medal with “V” Device Combat Action Ribbon Navy Cross Combat Infantryman Badge Purple Heart Combat Medical Badge Silver Star Distinguished Flying Cross

Don Evans