VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Benefits Management System (Vbms)

Rate this question

vern2

Question

Does anyone know how this works.

Perhaps Veldrina could enlighten me- see my prior posts and IRIS response where they mentioned VBMS.

Vern

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Got a quick question for you guys. A bud of mine works at the local RO and he tells me that with the Paperless system, the Examiners and Raters are going to be able to type in your Disability in question in a search Que, and be able to see everything, and make it easier to grant the SC if the evidence is there. Is this True, or what have you guys heard?

Some of the older strs you can do that, but yes that is the theory. The newer strs it seems to work a lot better on the search function. I use it for tabbing strs when I set up exams. I'm ild fashion though and I also still look through the strs one by one. Still don't trust HAL yet. Mainly because some of the sheets are still hand written and it doesn't seem to find those as well. This is just what I do.

In short yes the search function is starting to work on the new system (vbms).

Also a little tidbit for you. When the claim is established and the veteran was discharged after jan 2014 the strs are automatically shipped/ uploaded into vbms. Any before jan 2014 (and the claim is in vbms) is still requested by vsr and shipped to scanning location to be uploaded into vbms.

Has anyone been successful:

• Acquiring/Getting a copy of everything in their VBMS file?
  • Has anyone been successful at finding out what types of files VBMS specifically can access? In other words can we find out WHERE the VBA is looking for all of the information they HAVE on each of us?

BTW, I went to the local VA office yesterday and was treated poorly. The VA representative tried to query me at the front desk, in front of 30 other veterans waiting to be seen. I called her on this "Why are you doing this in public?" All the other VA representative were taking their clients to the back, to their private cubicles in a separate office, but not her. That pretty much set the tone of my conversation once I was able to force her to give me privacy. She never offered privacy after I pointed the above out to her... I had to specifically request it against her lack of willingness.

Anyway, I started with making a request for my C-file. Got a copy of the stamped FOIA request and then I started asking her about VBMS and how to get copies of all information in the VBMS. This lady went stone-face and started repeating "It is a database" any time I kept trying to ask for information... "It is a database"..."It is a database"... Apparently her answer was supposed to be some kind of magical word(a wall?) that is supposed to STOP all requests in their tracks. Kind of like "the cloud". I asked for a copy of everything in VBMS and got the answer..."It is a database" with no explanation.

FWIW, I am now filing a FOIA for all things in the VBMS database.

QUESTION: Any suggestions as to the exact wording of the FOIA? I don't want to give the VA any wiggle room to finagle out of anything, if you know what I mean.