VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Legal Fees Against The Va

Rate this question

JR Reihs

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Not same but I have a vet- after 12 years he got a rating-and -$ 32,000- retro which we immediately filed NOD on -they owe him plenty more-they forgot 60% more and SMC.

however he went to CAVC pro se (by himself) and lost and then went back to RO, BVA, then CAVC again and won via BVA remand as the CAVC remanded to the BVA.

The second CAVC docket had him

represented by 2 attorneys.

I helped him late in the game-I found the evidence in his SMRs.

The VA wants to pay his lawyers 8,000 bucks and with VA case law I filed NOD and hope he might only have to pay 4,000 or less.

This is a good case-glad you found it-there are probably more like it-

Any legal fee has potential to be questioned but most of them are probably correct.

Guest DON20906

When an attorney sues the government for free (pro bono) on behalf of an individual or class and wins, the lawyer may be reimbursed by the government for "reasonable" fees and costs under EAJA. The law is intended to help people who could otherwise not afford to sue the government. A good example in veterans law is Nehmer v. VA where National Veterans Legal Services Program sued the government in the 9th District of California to allow veterans who had filed Agent Orange claims before the presumptions were enacted to have their cases reopened and assigned effective dates of the original claims. Veterans had been paid millions in retro and NVLSP itself was awarded (i heard) about a million in EAJA fees.

Guest DON20906

Berta, I confused. Why would the veteran object to his lawyer being paid $8K instead of 4? If the guy won, he should be glad to see his lawyer recover some of his costs. Even if the veteran paid the lawyer fees, it should be no sweat off his back.

When an attorney sues the government for free (pro bono) on behalf of an individual or class and wins, the lawyer may be reimbursed by the government for "reasonable" fees and costs under EAJA. The law is intended to help people who could otherwise not afford to sue the government. A good example in veterans law is Nehmer v. VA where National Veterans Legal Services Program sued the government in the 9th District of California to allow veterans who had filed Agent Orange claims before the presumptions were enacted to have their cases reopened and assigned effective dates of the original claims. Veterans had been paid millions in retro and NVLSP itself was awarded (i heard) about a million in EAJA fees.

The veteran was pro se at CAVC years before obtaining a lawyer .He had 2 separate CAVC cases.

The VA wanted to pay his lawyer for both CAVC cases- yet he did not even know these lawyers then. I used his Docket sheet for the first CAVC case as evidence to prove this.

Lawyers have to fulfill a very specific criteria for payment of VA fees. His lawyers did not fulfill the criteria.

In over 12 years no one could find his service nexus.The limited work the lawyers did was meaningless to his claim.

I found it-the nexus- in minutes- it was in his BVA decision in the first paragraph.One word no one in 12 years had attempted to look up in a medical dictionary.

He got 2 IMos to support this nexus and he finally won-

40% but we Nodded it immediatley-they owe him much much more money.

It is odd that you mentioned this- my time has become minimal here- but I caught your post . I have additional claims work to do for this vet this week-in the 12 years he waited for the 40% his SC condition is now in a high SMC range and I want him to get what he deserves in comp.

Edited by Berta

The veteran was pro se at CAVC years before obtaining a lawyer .He had 2 separate CAVC cases.

The VA wanted to pay his lawyer for both CAVC cases- yet he did not even know these lawyers then. I used his Docket sheet for the first CAVC case as evidence to prove this.

Lawyers have to fulfill a very specific criteria for payment of VA fees. His lawyers did not fulfill the criteria.

In over 12 years no one could find his service nexus.The limited work the lawyers did was meaningless to his claim.

I found it-the nexus- in minutes- it was in his BVA decision in the first paragraph.One word no one in 12 years had attempted to look up in a medical dictionary.

It is odd that you mentioned this- my time has become minimal here- but I caught your post . I have additional claims work to do for this vet this week-in the 12 years he waited for the 40% his SC condition is now in a high SMC range and I want him to get what he deserves in comp.

Brenda,

This is Gary again & I need some help.

I want to apply for A & A for myself & my wife & was reading on one site where there are agencies that will do all this for U for a fee.

It looks rather complicated to me & I'd probably just mess it up.

Would ask Clark but can't contact him as I suppose Lawyers do this sort of thing.

Any help,as always sincerly appreciated.

GARY gdsnide@hotmail.com