VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

On Iu..does Becoming A Notary Count As Employment?

Rate this question

LizR

Question

My civic association needs a notary for occasional verification of forms. Can I take the class online and help with this or is it best not to with employability issues and being compensated for this through the VA for 14 years?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

For TDIU purposes, the TYPE of occupation is largely irrelevant (though there are situations where the type of employment might be an issue, these are pretty rare, and mostly have to do with high-wage professions). The key issue, in a TDIU claim, is how much you earn from an occupation.

The key phrase, at least for Schedular TDIU, is that the service-connected conditions must preclude participation in a "Substantially Gainful Occupation".

Read more about what this phrase means on the Veterans Law Blog:

Vague Rules make for Unfair Treatment: Substantially Gainful Activity in a Veterans IU claim.

Chris

I have been a notary for over 2 years. I only use it to help family and friends when filing important paperwork. I am 100% VA and SSDI and it does not affect me in anyway.

My civic association needs a notary for occasional verification of forms. Can I take the class online and help with this or is it best not to with employability issues and being compensated for this through the VA for 14 years?

LizR,

It should not present any problem at all as it is not employment, nor substantial gainful activity.

Also, your profile shows you reside in Florida.

Check this out - perhaps,no charge for your Commission as a Notary Public : -)

I believe this also might be applicable to a 100% SC P&T or IU - P&T vet.

You can easily call and ask.

Be sure to check out all the State benefits you might be eligible for.

http://www.military.com/benefits/veteran-state-benefits/florida-state-veterans-benefits.html

Commission as a Notary Public

The usual fee shall not be required for the issuance of a Commission as a Notary Public to a veteran who served during a period of wartime service, and who has been rated 50% or more for service-connected disability. Other fees may apply.