VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Scheduled A Iu That Wasn't Requested?

Rate this question

Nyan Nyan

Question

Hello, I have put into the VA for an increase in % for my digestive problems. It was at 30%. I went to the CP exam and didn't hear anything since around feb. I recently got a phone call telling me that I needed to schedule a IU for Mental health and the digestive problem.

Is this normal for the VA to make exam appointments for UI even if not requested? I tried to see if I could find my C&P report notes on my healthy vets blue button, but there wasn't anything on it. I didn't even request an increase in my MH which is at 30% currently.

I was under the impression the VA didn't do things unless prompted by the vet.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to Hadit! I hope this info if helpful.

I recommend you find out if the appointment is related to (or is) for a C&P or just a routine exam. About 17 years ago, I received a letter from the VAMC for a primary care appointment. I went to the appointment and the doc asked me what my complaint was. I never made any appointment. Yes, sometimes the VA does make appointments for no reason at all.

Blue Button may not have everything. You might need to get with your VAMC and request a copy separately. Additionally, you can also ask for a copy of your C-File from the RO. You can also make an appointment to view the contents of your C-file. Definitely don't randomly show up at the RO to do that unless you have an appointment.

In some cases, a rating may say 'temporary' on the award letter. The VA can, and sometimes will, request you come back for a follow up or unsolicited C&P exam. Even if it doesn't say that, the VA still can ask you to come in for another C&P exam. Some vets may never get asked.

There might be more, but probably the only ways not to come up for an unsolicited C&P exam is to have 'no more exams' on your award letter, be older than 65 y/o (not 100% sure about it), and/or be 100% P&T (not 100% schedular). If your ratings are SC for 20+ years (the rating safety net, minus fraud), they probably will not need to see you unless you file for an increase.

Thank you for the help. I'm 34 years old. I did request the C&P for an increase on digestion a year ago. The VA scheduled me that one which was a normal exam for digestion. Then about a month later was the IU one for digestion and mental health. Those 2 were done by the VA on their own. They were specificly targeted towards unemployability.

Mental health is at 30%

Digestion 30%

And a whole bunch of 10%

I'm at 70%, but I don't have the 40% in one disability to even think of IU which is why I'm curious as to why I was assigned the IU exams. I'm wondering if I was increased to 40% on my digestion and they do it automatic once we have a 40% and hit the 70% overall? I have had my IU exams already and they seemed to go well...I'm just baffled about the VA taking the innitive to do this on their own, if this is normal sop, or if this is possibly really good news for me. I asked for the increase so I could apply for this to begin with.