VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sooner Than Expected

Rate this topic

haparnold66

haparnold,

Glad you submitted a claim to VBA for benefits, you got a timely award of benefits

and feel you are getting good care.

It's really refreshing to read of things working out right for a change.

Thanks for posting.

Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing the details of your story. It helps others to know a little bit what to expect.

I'm curious of two things.

At what point did they send your claim to a different regional office?

Did you get the ratings that you were expecting?

PS --if you're not working, be sure to file for TDIU & Social Security disability.

I don't recall exactly, but I think my claim was moved from Oakland to Phoenix a couple of months after I filed it. When I first saw "Phoenix" appearing on eBenefits, I was a bit confused. I initially thought it was because I first enrolled in the VAHS in Phoenix back in '08. However, I now think it happened simply as part of the process of reallocating the Oakland RO's workload. Thanks for the tip on TDIU; I have been reading up on the topic. I have a request in to add 10% to my current 10% DM II rating because I was prescribed oral diabetes medication last month. I should probably wait for that to be approved before filing for TDIU. SSDI doesn't apply in my case because I am 65 and already drawing regular SS retirement benefits.

About the rating %: I received more than I expected, quite honestly.

Edited by haparnold66

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. In hindsight, I know I should have applied years ago, but that ship has sailed. I am grateful for what I receive now and will endeavor not to look back. My retirement years will be much easier now.

Are there any statements in your claims file either from you or a doctor saying that you're unable to work due to your service-connected PTSD?

If so then VA is supposed to infer that you might qualify for TDIU & start the process for you. However many times in their rush to get the claims completed this does not happen.

Whether there is a statement regarding unemployability or not, I do not think you should wait to file TDIU--if you meet the qualifications for it. The basic qualifications are that you are unable to work only because of your service-connected conditions. Secondly there's a specific percentage criteria --which you already meet.

The reason I say not to wait to file is because going from 70% to 100% is a huge difference in pay. While going from 70% to 80% is a very small amount. I don't see any good reason to wait to file --if you meet the qualifications. They can process both claims at the same time.

Also, there is no age limit to get TDIU.

Once again, Congratulations on getting this far!!

Edited by NavyWife

This post is interesting as I have a claim pending in Phoenix since last August and I live in AZ. So this means they are working outside claims before working on my claim when as been pending in decision since May 30.

Well, My claim for SSD is just about ready for decision so maybe i will have both done about the same time.

Congratulations. Back to my book!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use