VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Long Can We Safely Wait To File A Nod?

Rate this question

kate7772

Question

My husband's claim year for filing a NOD is up on Sept. 19th. He currently has a reopen/reconsideration with new evidence in ( I know, that was likely a wrong move but we didn't know better and it is in now) and we would like to ride that out as long as possible to hopefully get a rating before the deadline. How long can we safely wait before filing the NOD? If we file the NOD now, it will stop the reconsideration process, right?

Two of my husband's contentions are listed on eBenefits as reopen and two they are considering new even though they were originally denied.

Can we do a NOD online? Is it just a simple form and is it possible to print off proof of it being filed (for when VA later says it was not filed in time?)

Thanks,

Kate

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I was in a similiar situation and my reconsideration was totally ignored. I didnt file an NOD and missed out on back pay for not reserving my initial filing date. I would file by the 11th month to ensure the regional office recieves the NOD in a timely manner and while the NOD is processing constantly send new evidence which supports your claim. Almost forgot, ask for the "de novo review" when filing the NOD too.

• HadIt.com Elder

Personally, I'd wait no later than 21 days before the deadline and I'd submit it in hardcopy, USPS certified, return receipt requested. To me, electronic stuff can get lost too easily. There is a NOD form you can use, tho I've never used one.

pr

Carlie, can you explain to me exactly what happens after the NOD is filed?

And, the reconsideration stops being considered, right?

Does the claim go through the same steps as the original claim? It's now at review of evidence. Went there directly after the reconsideration with new evidence was filed.

And, our VARO is Cleveland but the claim is at Louisville because it involved a Camp Lejeune water issue (all Lejeune claims are sent there). Has been farmed out to Huntington and now Muskogee. So, the NOD would need filed at Louisville? Too far to hand deliver.

Thanks,

Kate

Carlie, can you explain to me exactly what happens after the NOD is filed?

And, the reconsideration stops being considered, right?

Does the claim go through the same steps as the original claim? It's now at review of evidence. Went there directly after the reconsideration with new evidence was filed.

And, our VARO is Cleveland but the claim is at Louisville because it involved a Camp Lejeune water issue (all Lejeune claims are sent there). Has been farmed out to Huntington and now Muskogee. So, the NOD would need filed at Louisville? Too far to hand deliver.

Thanks,

Kate

Kate,

The link below is a great read and should help answer some of your questions and explain some things.

http://www.hadit.com/veterans_self_help_guide.html