Jump to content
!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
New Donation Option Better for Us and You ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com
  • donate-banner-email-dec-2023.png

  • 0

Va Benefits

Rate this question



Our Daughter-in-law had got her father's service papers out and we had a question on weather or not she could get some schooling. I'll give some info.

He was in Viet Nam in 1967 served 15 mos. has a Bronze Star combat v and other medals. He died in 1970 when his daughter was 2 yrs. old from a fire at home, after the military, She is now 38. would she be eligable for any benefits such as schooling?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

It is correct about the 100% P and T status, but the age of eligibility depends on the age of the child at the time of the 100% award. For example, my daughter was 24 when I was rated 100% P and T. Her letter from Decatur, GA states that she has 45 months of eligibilty and has until her 32nd birthday to use her Chapter 35 benefits.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right from the va web cite:

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

Benefit Description

Dependents' Educational Assistance provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of certain veterans. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.


You must be the son, daughter, or spouse of:

A veteran who died or is permanently and totally disabled as the result of a service-connected disability. The disability must arise out of active service in the Armed Forces.

A veteran who died from any cause while such service-connected disability was in existence.

A servicemember missing in action or captured in line of duty by a hostile force.

A servicemember forcibly detained or interned in line of duty by a foreign government or power.

Period of Eligibility

If you are a son or daughter and wish to receive benefits for attending school or job training, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26. In certain instances, it is possible to begin before age 18 and to continue after age 26. Marriage is not a bar to this benefit. If you are in the Armed Forces, you may not receive this benefit while on active duty. To pursue training after military service, your discharge must not be under dishonorable conditions. VA can extend your period of eligibility by the number of months and days equal to the time spent on active duty. This extension cannot generally go beyond your 31st birthday, there are some exceptions.

If you are a spouse, benefits end 10 years from the date VA finds you eligible or from the date of death of the veteran.

How to Apply

You should make sure that your selected program is approved for VA training. If you are not clear on this point, VA will inform you and the school or company about the requirements.

Obtain and complete VA Form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance. Send it to the VA regional office with jurisdiction over the State where you will train. If you are a son or daughter, under legal age, a parent or guardian must sign the application.

If you have started training, take your application to your school or employer. Ask them to complete VA Form 22-1999, Enrollment Certification, and send both forms to VA.

Other Related Benefits

Work-Study Assistance Program

Tutorial Assistance

For additional information see Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program -Pamphlet or contact your local VA Regional Office for additional assistance by dialing our toll-free number, 1-888-442-4551.

This helps, unfortunatly we can not proof SC but It his death was suicide, and because no one knew of all this it would be unlikely she would be able to take advantage ! She is doing very well for herself, my son and her own their own bussiness, its to bad she will not be able to take advantage because she could totaly quit her job and just do the business part of their business, right now she basically has five job.

her work out side the home,

taking care of the home,


managing the bills for the business,

and of course her husband ( which is a Job all by its self)

But thanks again for the replys.

She wants to get all of his service records, of course she knew nothing about this until we started doing John's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use