VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advice On Upcoming C&p Exam

Rate this question

armyvet2010

Question

Hello everyone. I have an upcoming C&P that is scheduled in a few weeks. I filed for PTSD (both combat and physical assualt related) and mental condition. I am a little nervous because I don't know what to expect once at the exam. I know I have to be honest about everything,but I want to be sure I leave nothing out. This has been a long two years of this claim pending. Any advice on what to do or not to do while at or before the exam?

I've had two C&P exams for my depression...the first one the psychiatrist was friendly (too friendly) but he got me off topic. He wanted to talk about current events.He asked me questions about some things that were on the news at the time and what I thought about it. I was being polite and discussed what he wanted to talk about. I think he was trying to throw me off, and it worked. I wasn't sure about it at the time but realized later it went horrible because we didn't really discuss me and my illness. Don't let them get off topic..and be prepared to bring it back to you and your symptoms. After this one I was rated 0%

The second time I went I had made a list of my symptoms to help me remember what to say. The Dr. was more professional and stayed focused. It was a lot different the second time. The Dr. literally read a script from her computer. She asked questions right off her screen and typed in my answers as she went. It was tense. I do remember there was a loud veteran in the next room. He was acting out and it was very distracting...I was very distracted by the noise in the next exam room...and the fact that she was so robotic about the exam. Needless to say I was uncomfortable. I told her that I was getting uncomfortable and that I felt nervous. It was true...I think it helped me in the long run....but it was longer exam than the first one...she was a lot more thorough....Now that it is over I am glad that the other guy inadvertently helped my case prove that I get distracted and anxious. After this one I was rated 50%

My most important advice is to bring a list of symptoms with you. You will be allowed to read it or even hand it to the doctor. If you become uncomfortable at anytime during the exam let them know that you are. It is not the time to be polite or be strong. If you feel like crying then cry, as long as you aren't faking it...be real.