VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Request A Review Of My Recent Ratings And Whether I Qualify For Smc-S

Rate this question

golopes74

Question

Greetings fellow veterans,

This is my first posting so hopefully I have not violated any rules on how to ask a question...if I did, I apologize in advance. Here is my current situation. Retired from the Air Force last Sept and just received a 100% rating for the conditions below. My VSO wants to pursue smc-s but after reading various postings, I am very confused on if I even qualify. I would greatly appreciate any comments/advice any of you have on this matter:

Ptsd--70%

Migraines--50%

Sleep Apnea--50%

Ibs--30%

Ivds--10%

Radiculopathy--10%

Sciatica--10%

Tinnitus--10%

Arthritis--10%

All conditions were rated P&T except for the Ptsd which I am scheduled for a re-exam in 5 years. My overall 100% rating is not considered P&T status due to the Ptsd rating (future re-exam).

My VSO believes I should have been rated IU for Ptsd and would have then qualified for smc-s due to the other conditions but I was rated schedular instead and the award letter does not mention smc-s.

Since receiving the 100% schedular rating my treating psychiatrist has written me a letter saying "in his medical opinion my service connected ptsd is more likely than not static and prevents me from gaining/sustaining substantial employment." Do I have a legitimate case to pursue smc-s, and if so, how should I proceed?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise!

P.s.--I have also applied for SSDI but have not received a decision yet.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

SMC-S is house bound right. I was medically retired last year and I too am 100% Schedular with 70% for PTSD. I am not considered P&T as my PTSD is up for review in 3 or 5 years, I think. I have multiple conditions go along with TBI and Crohn's Disease. In my opinion it is too early to apply for the IU or SMC-S. You don't want to give the VA a reason to low ball your other conditions or reduce them. There have been a few stories on here recently where the VA gave guys new increased ratings, and lower other condition ratings. You have the 100%, and I don't want to see you rock the boat and the VA screw you. Since I was retired last Feb 13, I went from 80 to 100%, SSDI approved in less than 10 weeks and it is Permanent, and approved for my wife to be my Caregiver under the Wounded Warrior Program. What I have found in my short VA experience is that do your homework and use the Govt's Laws and Policies in your favor. I have what is called a SSDI Self Report that breaks down your conditions and uses the SSA's own wording and policies to get your SSDI approved. I have emailed it to a few guys over the last few months, and one guy along with me believe that it is what got ours approved so fast. God Bless and good luck bud. Very Happy to hear you get the 100% without having to go thru a long and drawn out process.

This poster is in the same situation as you, with 70% PTSD and a COMBINED SCHEDULAR rating of 100% plus extra.

. But not on TDIU and not a single disability rated as 100%.

Thanks for the info/perspective Navy04 and NavyWife. Guess I will hold off for now and see if my conditions improve or worsen in the next few years. Keeping my fingers crossed on the SSDI...managed to get through the lengthy paper trail and now waiting for a decision. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my inquiry.