VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Turned Down For Chronic Fatigue

Rate this question

Gredge

Question

Hello, everybody.

My name is Greg. This is my first post. I'm 28, an was deployed to Iraq/Kuwait in 2005-2006. Shortly after coming home, I started noticing a lot of trouble with funning, and general energy issues. I went to a doctor (I was on active duty, but at a reserve post, so I had Tricare Remote), and I was diagnosed with depression. That didn't fit, because I'm generally happy. I can't really explain why I feel this way, but I have always felt this was a physical issues. Literally, within a span of a week, I went from running a 12-minute two-mile to failing my PT test. Ever since then, I struggled with feeling weak, fatigued, and just not 100%. I also have pain. I ache quite a bit, and sometimes it feels like I have a persistent, under the skin sunburn.

So, after I got off active duty (i'm still in the reserves), I started seeing my own doctor. She put me on a few anti-depressants that didn't do anything to help me. I asked for her to do some blood work, and it came back with slightly lowered T-levels, as one would expect from somebody who doesn't feel like exercising anymore. Finally, after testing my heart, lungs, thyroid, and blood tests, she diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. She said that fibromyalgia also fits some of my symptoms, but she didn't diagnose me with that.

Anyways, I submitted my CFS to the VA for a disability after reading that it fell under the category of presumptive illness. I filed for a few other things (bursitis in my shoulder, broken wrist, nothing major), and was turned down for everything. The wrist and shoulder were issues I was in physical therapy for while I was on active duty. I do not have a LOD on them. For CFS, they said that my slightly decreased Testosterone levels accounted for all of my symptoms. They did not conduct an exam. I had one appointment with the VA where I went in and they read of the items I was filing for and asked me to confirm that was it. I confirmed and left. It was literally less than 5 minutes.

I work a regular job. My condition does affect my performance (I feel hazy quite a bit and have trouble concentrating, I am often late for work because I have trouble getting out of bed, ect.) Luckily, my job has flex scheduling and generous time off, or I'd have been fired. I don't know how I'm going to convince the VA to recognize my conditions. I am not out for money or anything (its nice, but I have a job), but I want the recognition that I'm not crazy. I'm also fairly young, and I feel like crap all the time. I'm afraid this issue is going to get worse when I'm older, and I want the VA support system there in case things become too much for me and my family to handle.

I posted here because CFS/FM symptoms are more closely related with Gulf War Illness than the OIF/OEF stuff, and figured I might get more insight from these forms. If you guys have some advice on how to approach this situation, I'd greatly appreciate it. I recently got in contact with a VFW VSO, and am working on filing my NOD. I got my denial in January, and I should have been working harder on fixing this sooner...I just kind of got depressed and didn't feel like dealing with it for a bit.

Thanks for any help you guys offer.

From your story, I am seeing some indicators for the cluster symptoms for GWI. (I'm not a doctor, of course, but your case sounds similar to other PGW cases I've handled).

You probably know this, but GWI is covered in the regs at 38 CFR 3.317.

Here's a general methodology that my Firm uses in GWI Cluster Symptom cases....

(Quick Caveat: keep in mind, this is not legal advice, and no post by me in this forum can substitute for legal advice from an accredited attorney. This is just meant to educate you about the procedural steps involved in claims like this)

Here are the procedural steps my firm follows in GWI Cluster Symptom cases:

1) Document every symptom and limitation you are facing. I say "screw the 21-4138"....my attorneys and staff use the Sworn Declaration form (linked below). Here's why I say "screw the 21-4138".

2) Have anyone that you know - spouse, friends, co-workers - document the symptoms and limitations that they are witnessing. Consider using the Sworn Declaration my Firm uses.

3) Get a copy of all of your military service medical records - and all of your post service treatment records (VA and private)

4) Get a copy of your VA Claims File. Here's what that is and 3 ways to get it:

5) Take those to your primary care provider - or better, a medical expert - and request that the a medical opinion as to whether these symptoms are a diagnosed condition, or whether they are cluster symptoms which evade diagnosis. Ask that he/she specifically opine whether the "cluster symptoms" are related to your military service. And don't forget to ask that they use THESE "Magic Words" in their opinion.

Hope that helps. Sorry you are going through all that.

Chris

Hello, everybody.

My name is Greg. This is my first post. I'm 28, an was deployed to Iraq/Kuwait in 2005-2006. Shortly after coming home, I started noticing a lot of trouble with funning, and general energy issues. I went to a doctor (I was on active duty, but at a reserve post, so I had Tricare Remote), and I was diagnosed with depression. That didn't fit, because I'm generally happy. I can't really explain why I feel this way, but I have always felt this was a physical issues. Literally, within a span of a week, I went from running a 12-minute two-mile to failing my PT test. Ever since then, I struggled with feeling weak, fatigued, and just not 100%. I also have pain. I ache quite a bit, and sometimes it feels like I have a persistent, under the skin sunburn.

So, after I got off active duty (i'm still in the reserves), I started seeing my own doctor. She put me on a few anti-depressants that didn't do anything to help me. I asked for her to do some blood work, and it came back with slightly lowered T-levels, as one would expect from somebody who doesn't feel like exercising anymore. Finally, after testing my heart, lungs, thyroid, and blood tests, she diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. She said that fibromyalgia also fits some of my symptoms, but she didn't diagnose me with that.

Anyways, I submitted my CFS to the VA for a disability after reading that it fell under the category of presumptive illness. I filed for a few other things (bursitis in my shoulder, broken wrist, nothing major), and was turned down for everything. The wrist and shoulder were issues I was in physical therapy for while I was on active duty. I do not have a LOD on them. For CFS, they said that my slightly decreased Testosterone levels accounted for all of my symptoms. They did not conduct an exam. I had one appointment with the VA where I went in and they read of the items I was filing for and asked me to confirm that was it. I confirmed and left. It was literally less than 5 minutes.

I work a regular job. My condition does affect my performance (I feel hazy quite a bit and have trouble concentrating, I am often late for work because I have trouble getting out of bed, ect.) Luckily, my job has flex scheduling and generous time off, or I'd have been fired. I don't know how I'm going to convince the VA to recognize my conditions. I am not out for money or anything (its nice, but I have a job), but I want the recognition that I'm not crazy. I'm also fairly young, and I feel like crap all the time. I'm afraid this issue is going to get worse when I'm older, and I want the VA support system there in case things become too much for me and my family to handle.

I posted here because CFS/FM symptoms are more closely related with Gulf War Illness than the OIF/OEF stuff, and figured I might get more insight from these forms. If you guys have some advice on how to approach this situation, I'd greatly appreciate it. I recently got in contact with a VFW VSO, and am working on filing my NOD. I got my denial in January, and I should have been working harder on fixing this sooner...I just kind of got depressed and didn't feel like dealing with it for a bit.

Thanks for any help you guys offer.

Gredge, Were you exposed to burn pits or jet fuel, or exposed to degreasers like trichloroethylene? Not sure what branch or what sort of duties you performed, but there is some research linking PCB exposure (PCB's are found in plastics that were burned in the pits), kerosene-based (JP) jet fuel exposure, and TCE exposure to lower serum testosterone.

Hey guys, update after two years!

So, I never filed a NOD, because I really didn't have anything else to supply. I decided to switch doctors, to a general practitioner that had some experience with CFS/FM. I also got representation through the state veteran service office.

This time I approached my disability with my doctor, and had the questionnaires pre-filled by my own doctor, rather than relying on the VA to do it.

Anyways, within three months I got my rating back for 60% (60% CFC/10% FM). I do plan on going back and filing for hearing (I'm still a reservist, and was recently put on a P3 for hearing).

Thanks for all the advice!

Good on you for going back but as you stated in your post this condition can get worst. I have not been treated for CFS but I am service connected for Fibromyalgia and it hit me when I was around your age.  My VA doctor suggested that I quit my government job but I did not and not long after that it was like my whole body was trying to shut down on me. I know everybody is different and I hope this does not happen to you but be prepare that fibromyalgia has other symptoms like migraines, IBS, depression, neuropathy that can be very painful.

P. S. you can change your profile to show your rating here on hadit.com