VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Baffles Me

Rate this question

BigJon13

Question

Hello Everybody,

In Dec 2013 i filed for IU, Iam currently 90%SC,

60% Gerd

40% DDD Lumbar

20% Bi-Lateral Leg Radiculopathy

20% " "

10% Residuals Left Hand Fracture

I also have DDD of the Cervical Spine, with Left Arm Radiculopathy, Severe Rt Ankle Arthritis From 2xFracture, RT ankle to be Fused this summer, these are not service connected and i have filed for SSDI last July 2013. I was denied and am in the reconsideration phase and also have retained a Lawyer.

I will run Out of money on Aug 1, 2014....except for my VA pay, i haved exhausted my savings account to Keep the rent paid. please know i do not have any toys or financed vehicles. I have 2 Trucks, 1 boat and my Harley which i have title to, i own them, worked my tail off for 30 years and have earned what i have.

My question is this, is their a way i can speed up my VA claim, and my SSDI claim? I also filed for SSI. they told me I can exempt one vehicle from my assets. I exempted My Tahoe, now they say I have to sale my other Truck,my boat and my harley and use the money to live off of and when that is gone we will help you... I was flabbergasted to say the least. this is the new American way, lose everything you worked for all of your life because of several disabilities and then only then will the Feds Help.

Iam lost and do not know how iam going to eat and pay rent..

Is there someway to get Help on VA claim getting approved faster?

Sorry for the rant, i had to vent.

Thank you my fellow Vets for your service, and i will graciously accept all advice.

6 answers to this question

Welcome.

Really no way to speed up the VBA claim process other than perhaps

hardship due to foreclosure, homeless, terminal illness or advanced age.

As for SSA - I know their criteria for SSI only allows for one vehicle, as it is income

and asset dependent.

SSDI is a different story completely.

Perhaps they are saying since you have several assets, they are not able to provide

an expedited process for you, due to those assets.

In other words - they won't put your SSA claims processing for SSDI, ahead of other

people because you are not in dire straights. That's just my guess.

jmho

I received my SSDI in less than 10 weeks. As far as the SSI requirements, that is right, as I was not granted SSI due to my 3 cars, boat and 4 wheeler. As far as the SSDI being approved, I just don't think so in my opinion. I have Severe Crohn's and back and joint issues, as you, and my SSDI was approved based on my PTSD/TBI/Migraines. I was approved very fast considering it takes years and is very hard to get in texas. My Twin brother has severe Crohn's and he has had over 9 ft of is insides removed and he is being denied SSDI for over 2 years and he lives off $300 a week. He too has an old boat and 3 vehicles paid for. Therefore he does not qualify for SSI either. I feel your pain. When I was running out of money and I have a young family, the only way to speed up my case, I was told to sell what I own, and let my utility and mortgage get behind, which for me was not an option. I have worked very hard on what I own, and my credit, to let it all go. Just try to make it and based on your Disabilities, I would think that you could do some kind of job. I have Documentation from Navy, VA and Civilian Docs that state no Physical or Mental ability to work, that is why my wife was approved a few months ago to be my Caregiver, and I am only 32 years of age. God bless you my friend, and I only wish the Govt would be starving, and struggling like the rest of us, and then maybe they might help the Good Ol Vets.

• HadIt.com Elder

Wait until you need or spouse need nursing home care. The feds will demand you are stripped bare before medicade with pick up the tab. If you get 100% from the VA you will be better off than about 50% of regular Americans. I think they will eventually get envious and strike back at us by declaring that we are parasites. It is a slow motion crises that will result in poverty for millions in later years, or if they are disabled. You know vast majority of those disabled only have SSDI or SSI to fall back on to keep the wolf from the door. This is a scandal and disgrace while .01% live like kings and queens. If you are an honest, hard working sort you qualify for "Chump of the Year" award.

I did read in our local news paper that the average wage in the USA is $1000 a week. I never made that much in my life. What are they talking about?

John

THANX FOR THE LETTERS OF ENCOURAGEMENT FRIENDS, I KNOW IT IS A LONG HARD WAIT, IAM NOT WILLING TO SALE MY BELONGINGS OR LET MY BILLS LAPSE, I WILL FIND A WAY TO MAKE IT. I ALSO AM NOT ALLOWED TO LIFT ANYTHING OVER 5 POUNDS TWIST OR TURN PAST 20 DEGREES, HARD TO DO I KNOW. ITS BEEN OVER A YEAR FOR SSDI, AND 9 MONTHS ON IU CLAIM, I KNOW IT WILL COME WITH A FIGHT, A FIGHT THAT WE ALL HAVE GONE THRU, A FIGHT WE SHOULDNT HAVE TO FIGHT.

I TRULY LOVE ALL MY MILITARY WARRIORS,VETS AND SPOUSES, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SACRAFICES AND CONTINUED SUPPORT...

I WILL FIGHT TILL IAM DEAD, THAT IS WHAT WE DO.........GOD BLESS YOU FRIENDS, I WILL UPDATE YOU WHEN I GET NEWS.....

I also filed for SSI. they told me I can exempt one vehicle from my assets. I exempted My Tahoe, now they say I have to sale my other Truck,my boat and my harley and use the money to live off of and when that is gone we will help you...

In reference to SSI, Because you are being paid 90% through VA. I believe you will not qualify for SSI because this will put you over the income limit. I don't know why someone told you to sell your stuff because it really would not matter.

Of course SSDI is different but be very careful of where you get your information.

If I am off others will chime in.

agree with pete992. Sounds like you have a great shot at SSDI. IU may be more difficult. If your VA PCP has documemted than you are unemployable due to your service connected disabilities, that would go a long ways toward IU. Good luck to you.