Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×

3rd C&p By Bva - What Do I Do?

Josephine
This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

The Appeals Management Center Counselor has told me that I am go have another C&P and I am not sure of how to conduct myself. They have said that they were going to discount the second C&P, but not quite sure that this is true.

I have the following:

C&P at Medical Center with a More Likely than Not that my Anxiety began in Service with being unable to hold gainful employment since 1983 and he did have my SSA records in front of him. Diagnosis – Anxiety disorder not other wise specified with Depression.

5 months later a C&P by a Board of Two – Nothing bothered her in service

Anxiety not otherwise specified and Axis 2 – Historian Personality – Borderline.

One doctor signed the C&P and the other one refused. This C& P is full of slanderous lies and they changing of my medical records to give me the personality that she wished.

I know that my Private doctor is in the Field of Internal Medicine, but after 29 years, he does know me better than anyone. He has specialized training in the field of Psychiatry.

He has written 3 letters for me and states why he feels that my anxiety originated in service, as it is plausible if you are taking Librium and Caffergot in service and begin treatment with Librium again in 1967 and all the years thereafter.

I went for an IMO, after I paid the doctor, he refused to place in the write up that he had my military and private records to review. He did not find a personality disorder, only Chronic Anxiety. Had his medical training at a VA Medical Center. I asked him to do it and he refused, I trashed it, No good!

The Board wants to say that the Librium and Caffergot were for a headache, but this isn’t true. I know that my military doctor wrote in my sick bay records, “ Vascular versus Tension Headaches, but he has since wrote a letter to the effect that this was a Concept that he uses all the time, and that the Caffergot was for a headache and the Librium for my nerves. My military doctor wrote a letter to the VA to clarify this statement.

Now, according to the Management Center, I am to have another C&P. I have been told that the second C&P was discounted, but not quite sure that is true.

My medical records of 42 years all state Acute to Chronic Anxiety with Depression and headaches and not one ever mentions any type of Personality Disorder.

My discharge was an early discharge - Emotional Instability code 460.

I have the Clinical Records and have posted them on line, these have been lost for 42 years and had never been seen by the VA until I secured these records for them.

I see where the Psychiatrist in Navy states Impression of Personality Traits, but do not believe that this is the same as a Personality Disorder. Am I right?

My question is for the 3rd C&P- Do I defend myself against the negative and show the doctor my medical records to show him that the slanderous lies are not true. He will be aware of that examination, won’t he?

What do you do with a situation as this?

I really need help.

I will be at this C& P to see which doctor is correct.

With the passing of the new law of retro. Won't this be a problem as my claim is open to 1978?

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

"I went for an IMO, after I paid the doctor, he refused to place in the write up that he had my military and private records to review"

That is most unfortunate- why would he refuse to state he had these records?

It doesn't make sense- and I would be livid if I gave a doctor money for a IMO and all medical records and SMRs and then they would not state they had this stuff. I would want my money back for sure!

They cannot write an opinion without them anyhow.

In my IMOs Dr. Bash -right off the bat- stated all of the records he had reviewed for my claim and included past SOCS and SSOCs, and other documents not medical but which VA has-that are pertinent to my claim.

Josephine this was a strong factor ,and he referred to specifics in those records. and his second opinion totally broke down the VA opinion because that VA doctor only used "a few" records by her own account in the SSOC-as she was quoted by the DRO-yet Dr. Bash had a Stack.

In my case the SMRs were not a factor -only a big stack of VA medical records and past VA decisions in SOCs etc and other documents from DC. In your case the SMRs and complete records are crucial to your claim.

But I am just baffled why this doctor,in your case, would refuse to say he had those records- it makes no sense at all.

He could not render a valid opinion without them. VA would reject it so it is good that you did not use it.

If you get your money back from this doctor- you could get another IMO.If you act fast you could bring a better opinion to the C & P exam.

I made one of my local vets not only bring his latest IMO to his C & P but also I paid for a Healthgrades rundown on his IMO doc and what the vet went to the C & P with was excellent proof that his IMO doctor was far beyond what the credentials of the C & P doctors had been at the VA so far. He had an excellent IMO and documentation from healthgrades that this IMO doctor was a highly respected well known professional in the field of the veteran's disability.I attached a printout of a symposium that the IMO doctor had great input in also.

The C & P (his third or fourth) finally went well---I should say went better with his IMO---the examiner did state he should be SC-long story there and another skirmush or two----but in any event he won his claim. After 12 years.

There is a template here somewhere of just what the VA is looking for in IMOs and how the doctor should shape his/her opinion.

If I were you I would walk into that C & P with something they cannot refute.

and send copy to the VARO or the AMC too.

-

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder
"I went for an IMO, after I paid the doctor, he refused to place in the write up that he had my military and private records to review"

That is most unfortunate- why would he refuse to state he had these records?

It doesn't make sense- and I would be livid if I gave a doctor money for a IMO and all medical records and SMRs and then they would not state they had this stuff. I would want my money back for sure!

They cannot write an opinion without them anyhow.

In my IMOs Dr. Bash -right off the bat- stated all of the records he had reviewed for my claim and included past SOCS and SSOCs, and other documents not medical but which VA has-that are pertinent to my claim.

Josephine this was a strong factor ,and he referred to specifics in those records. and his second opinion totally broke down the VA opinion because that VA doctor only used "a few" records by her own account in the SSOC-as she was quoted by the DRO-yet Dr. Bash had a Stack.

In my case the SMRs were not a factor -only a big stack of VA medical records and past VA decisions in SOCs etc and other documents from DC. In your case the SMRs and complete records are crucial to your claim.

But I am just baffled why this doctor,in your case, would refuse to say he had those records- it makes no sense at all.

He could not render a valid opinion without them. VA would reject it so it is good that you did not use it.

If you get your money back from this doctor- you could get another IMO.If you act fast you could bring a better opinion to the C & P exam.

I made one of my local vets not only bring his latest IMO to his C & P but also I paid for a Healthgrades rundown on his IMO doc and what the vet went to the C & P with was excellent proof that his IMO doctor was far beyond what the credentials of the C & P doctors had been at the VA so far. He had an excellent IMO and documentation from healthgrades that this IMO doctor was a highly respected well known professional in the field of the veteran's disability.I attached a printout of a symposium that the IMO doctor had great input in also.

The C & P (his third or fourth) finally went well---I should say went better with his IMO---the examiner did state he should be SC-long story there and another skirmush or two----but in any event he won his claim. After 12 years.

There is a template here somewhere of just what the VA is looking for in IMOs and how the doctor should shape his/her opinion.

If I were you I would walk into that C & P with something they cannot refute.

and send copy to the VARO or the AMC too.

-

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder
Berta,

I was actually hoping that there would not be another examination. I am guessing that the Psychiatrist that I saw bragged so much how he did his residency at the medical center, he knew that if he left this out, his report would not mean a thing.

I have used all the ammunition that I can get my hands on to knock down the Board Decision, it is based on the changing of my records. I sent everything to the BVA. My remand stated that my claims file should go back to those two to reconcile their difference. I wonder why they are by- passing that issue.

I am definitely going to take all of the proof I have to show the doctor that these are lies written by the Board.

Back in the 60's, I never had a second thought of going to anyone other than a General Practioner for my nerves and then when the blood pressure problem came, that is when I started with the Internist, Heart Value problem, Thyroid, inner ear and diabetic and now the possibly of cancer and all and more.

I have trusted my Board Certified Internist with my life for 29 years, and it would be difficult for me to trust the medication of another doctor.

The Mangement Center is aware that I am having to deal with the results of my PET Scan. Cancer. Sugar tracer went to my thyroid and colon.

I have to have special test for this.

They sort of have me over a barrel, not with them wanting another examination.

I will just have to take my 42 years of treatment records for anxiety and the letter from Dr. P Internist and my letter from my Treating Physician in service and see how it goes.

No one really wants to say after 42 years, whether my anxiety could be caused from service.

I will show the C&P doctor the Librium in my sick bay records of 1964 and the treatment again in 1967 and to date.

I really appreciate your letting me air out my thoughts on this.

If you look on the internet a Board Certified Internist is capable of treating mental illness. Maybe not all, but my kind.

The Navy for women in the 1960's is nothing like the Navy today.

Dr. P says it has something to do with the Sympathetic Nervous System.

The Va has just about beat me to a pulp and I am about fought out.

Always,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

Josephine -I am glad that you gt the point of one of my last posts to you-

I am not inferring at all that you do not have a claim worth pursuing-

what I meant as to the inservice training at the pool- what is traumatic for someone would not be for someone else- and that is due to our uniqueness-

I am glad you did see the point and did not feel I was being negative about the stressor at all-

I used to clean skulls and other bones with dental type tools for the museum in NJ. A large Indian burial had been uncovered and it stopped a HUD project dead in it's tracks.

I was achaeology volunteer and cleaned the remains of centuries of sand.

It was odd how many people viewed this as horrible work. Poltergist the movie had just come out and someone was calling the museum every day to tell us we had been cursed.Not the Lenni Lenapes though- they had a long relationship with us and knew the remains had been removed with great respect and prayers.

Very few people viewed my volunteer job with any relish at all.Many acted like it was a stressful ,fearful job.I was the only volunteer person who would do it.

But it is nice to work alone with dead Indians surrounding you-

It is not what a stressorful event is but how it affects one-

My point on the stressor and the military's normal rigorous nature of all of the exercises was only to reveal a potential pitfall that the VA could use against the claim.

We have to look out for land mines-

I appreciate that you did not misunderstand that post-I was worried after I posted it- but you fully see what I mean and maybe this too will help another vet in similiar situation.

A stressor for a veteran could be the snakes and rats in Vietnam even if they were not in combat-

and those snakes were often deadly and could fall right out of a tree ont a serviceman.

For another vet the snakes could be meaningless ,just something to avoid or maybe the rats would be a good meal.

I know a vet who saw horrific combat-his main stressor and the source of his nightmares----the leeches-he was horrified of them. He could handle everything else, even getting shot but dreamed of the leeches endlessly.

It is how it affects us as individuals as to what a stressor can be.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder
Josephine -I am glad that you gt the point of one of my last posts to you-

I am not inferring at all that you do not have a claim worth pursuing-

what I meant as to the inservice training at the pool- what is traumatic for someone would not be for someone else- and that is due to our uniqueness-

I am glad you did see the point and did not feel I was being negative about the stressor at all-

I used to clean skulls and other bones with dental type tools for the museum in NJ. A large Indian burial had been uncovered and it stopped a HUD project dead in it's tracks.

I was achaeology volunteer and cleaned the remains of centuries of sand.

It was odd how many people viewed this as horrible work. Poltergist the movie had just come out and someone was calling the museum every day to tell us we had been cursed.Not the Lenni Lenapes though- they had a long relationship with us and knew the remains had been removed with great respect and prayers.

Very few people viewed my volunteer job with any relish at all.Many acted like it was a stressful ,fearful job.I was the only volunteer person who would do it.

But it is nice to work alone with dead Indians surrounding you-

It is not what a stressorful event is but how it affects one-

My point on the stressor and the military's normal rigorous nature of all of the exercises was only to reveal a potential pitfall that the VA could use against the claim.

We have to look out for land mines-

I appreciate that you did not misunderstand that post-I was worried after I posted it- but you fully see what I mean and maybe this too will help another vet in similiar situation.

A stressor for a veteran could be the snakes and rats in Vietnam even if they were not in combat-

and those snakes were often deadly and could fall right out of a tree ont a serviceman.

For another vet the snakes could be meaningless ,just something to avoid or maybe the rats would be a good meal.

I know a vet who saw horrific combat-his main stressor and the source of his nightmares----the leeches-he was horrified of them. He could handle everything else, even getting shot but dreamed of the leeches endlessly.

It is how it affects us as individuals as to what a stressor can be.

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder
Berta,

I appreciate your being honest with me and I knew instantly what you meant for me to do. I will continue to do as I have been. It is true, what bothers one may not another. I have gotten this far, by standing firm with what happened to me in service and how it effected me.

No, I am sorry, I couldn't clean the bones and skulls.

I don't think that those on Hadit realize that I have only gotten this far by the help of this site. You and Pete have written me many letters, when the older site was going. I was Josephine then and now.

I have taken all of your advice through out these years.

I still ask about a David Star. He wrote to me and told me to watch our for the Triangle.

Again, if he is reading. I do appreciate this advice.

If I hadn't located the Psychiatric Records in 2004 which I posted on line, I would never had a first or second C&P and I feel that I can come through the next one. I was fortunate with the help of the archives to locate my long lost transfer records from Washington to Norfolk.

Thanks a bushel,

Josephine

This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 

Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 

This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.

spacer.png