VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice With Va Claim

Rate this question

JA852

Question

First time poster here! I have a on going claim with the VA for a heart condition and IBS. Since the VA has taken such a long time, I applied for SSDI and was approved because of heart conditions and IBS. I asked my VSO at the DVA if I should sumit the positive SSDI report to the VA and was told "NO", do not as they are a different agency. It seems to me that if SSN granted me SSDI for the same disabilities, this info could or should have some bearing on my VA case....... especially since they are the same disabilities. I could summit the SSDI findings in the ebenefits website without going to the DVA. Should I summit it?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Don't listen to that Dummy, you submit that Evidence. Remember that even though they are separate, the VA does have to listen to the SSA if your SSDI was approved solely on conditions that you submitted to the VA. Same with me, I was 80% SC when the Navy Medically Retired me last year. Since I was granted 100% with my PTSD going up to 70% from 30%. Now my SSDI was granted in less than 10 weeks for PTSD/TBI around Feb 14. When I received the SSA packet in March 14, I submitted this info to the VA, and guess what April 14, Granted VA 100% and claim complete. My VSO is a buddy of mine, but he is a freaking Dummy that has too much faith in the VA. So I do everything my self. I recently submitted another FDC claim for 7 new conditions. Now, one thing that might screw you is if you submit the SSDI award packet as evidence, the VA might switch your claim from an FDC to a traditional claim and prolong the claim. Good luck and keep me posted bud

Maybe someone can help me on this! According to the ebenefits website, my claim is in the evidence gathering stage. In June, I sent in the SSDI award letter. Last week, I decided to check on my case and called the VA. I talked with an anonymous rep about my case and the SSDI award, The VA rep stated that I need to send in a VA form 21-8940. In fact, the forms just arrived in the mail. This is the application for increased compensation based on unemployability. At the moment, I don't have the ratings to qualify. I am hoping to get an increased ratings this go around. Now the big questions!

(1) Will sending in this form delay my claim as someone mentioned earlier? I don't want to shoot myself in the foot when the claim could be done in 6-8 months.

(2) Will this establish an earlier date for the total disability if it is awarded in the future?