VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ohio - Vets Property Tax

Rate this question

carlie

Question

"New law raises homestead exemption for disabled veterans

By MARLA K. KUHLMANTuesday July 1, 2014 10:45 PM

Many disabled Ohio veterans will get some property-tax relief, thanks to a bill Gov. John Kasich has signed into law.

House Bill 85, which was sponsored jointly by state Reps. Lou Terhar (R-Cincinnati) and Anne Gonzales (R-Westerville), increases the amount of the homestead exemption for military veterans who are 100 percent disabled from a service-related disability from $25,000 to $50,000. It also ensures that county veterans service commissions do not lose funding from the loss of property-tax revenue and exempts disabled veterans from means testing, said Christopher Corder, Gonzales' legislative aide.

Jerry Kerr, commander of Tri-Community VFW Post 4719 in Gahanna and senior vice commander of District 11, said the bill would be a huge financial benefit for a lot of disabled veterans."

Full article:

http://www.thisweeknews.com/content/stories/gahanna/news/2014/07/01/new-law-raises-homestead-exemption-for-disabled-veterans.html

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

That's great news, as here in Texas, I don't pay any property taxes for the 100% SC, and it has helped me purchase a nice house on the lake due to a cheap mortgage and no taxes. Vets are in bad shape these days, contrary to the Govt and Civilians assuming we get so rich off of the Govt

• HadIt.com Elder

Texas is a very good place for Veterans. I pay 4 bucks for my car tags and drivers license is free. No property tax for my homestead.

This is great news for us Ohio veterans! There are so many other states that offered disabled vets tax exemption & Im glad that Ohio finally made some changes to include us! Texas definitely has some of the best benefits for veterans & I have actually considered moving there! Who knows, if I can talk the wife into it I still may move there!:)

I will start a new thread, but just incase any Ohio vets check in here, this is the form you will need to fill out for the $50,000 tax exemption & the earliest you can submit it is 01/01/2015.

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/portals/0/forms/real_property/DTE_105I.pdf