VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Irritable Bowel Symptoms

Rate this question

Charleese

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

You will definitely know IT! Abdominal pains, bloating, nausea, and worst of all you crap your underwear without warning many times a day and night. It's one of the most disgusting and debilitating conditions I know of. It will make you a recluse and prevent you from going anywhere or doing anything.

As far as the cause, it is unknown. IMHO I believe it is caused from the processed foods, hormones, pesticides, etc. The agriculture communitiy is killing us all with their advances.

• Founder

you need to see a gi doctor so that they can rule out a variety of things before you know if you have ibs. there are many things that appear to be ibs like but can be something else. if they say it's ibs there are some new meds out there that are suppose to help, also healthfood stores usually have somehting.

it is embarassing, painful and debilitating...many of us here live with it to one extent to another. mine is milder than others, but it will keep you home. doc told me he thinks it's my constant level of anxiety, but who knows.

it's not a death sentence and it can be managed, it just sucks.

I personally have this and have to stay away from a lot of foods, especially those which I tend to love but can't have. While foods can cause the problem to be worse, so can smoking, alcohol and most of all, NERVES. As to what causes it, I don't really know. I know in our family it apparently is partly due to being hereditary. I have 7 siblings and most of them have some sort of GI problems, including IBS and Chrohns. My mother had colon cancer and now everyone in my family is tested every couple of years by having a colonoscopy done.

I have had two stomach surgeries done in the past and now only have about 28% of my stomach left. After the first surgery, I had what they call "dumping syndrome" bad, bad, bad. The nausea and diarhea were horrible. I would no sooner eat something until both of these would happen almost immediately. Makes it rough to go out somewhere to eat or take a long distance trip. I would also get stomach cramping that would be so painful that it was almost unbearable. Well, I had the second surgery because the doctor felt that by rerouting some of my piping, that he could eliminate some of the problems I was having. Well, whatever he did, it really helped. While I do occasionally have bouts with this, it is not near like it was. In fact, if I have a few drinks of alcohol at night, I know I will then pay dearly the next day. Also, if I get really upset over something, which I do a lot, then it makes the problem much worse.

I personally know what this is like through myself and my family and I can honestly say it is something horrible to have to live with and I truly sympathize with anyone who has it.

If you have not been to see a doctor yet for your symptoms, I would definitely make that appointment with the GI physician and go. There are meds out there that can help some people. But, until the physician does some testing, they will not know what they are dealing with. You could have some other problem besides IBS.

mssoup1

Hi,

Thanks all for your responses. This person thinks he has IBS and he had described most of the symptoms that you all have described.

He has colon cancer, hernia problems, which have already been diagnosed. He is now asking that the VA give him a C&P for IBS and asbestos.

I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Once again thanks.

I know that IBS is one of claims that can not be rated seperate from a variety of other GI problems. IF the Hernia is of the Hiatal Nature then most likely they will contine you under the same rating already assigned. In my case they have combined Hiatal Hernia, Gerd, IBS, Esophagus Stricture and assigned a 30% rating.