VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P & T Unemployability

Rate this question

Ralph1950

Question

I was awarded 70% PTSD, 10% Tinnitus, and P&T Unemployability June 2013. A couple days ago I get a VA Form 21-4140 (Employment Questionaire ) from the RO.

I did do some part time work last year which amounted to around $4000.00 total. I did this to help supplement my disability income so as to help pay the debtors . I did the work on the up and up and claimed the income on the IRS grab ("Render unto Caesar.......), so as not to get in any trouble with them.

Do I have anything to worry about? My wife says I should just quit locating and doing odd jobs. I don't want to jeopardy losing the benefit as it does help me to keep the wolves at bay.

Anxiously awaiting your advise.

Ralph

Just be honest, as I don't think that you worked enough last year to hurt you. You should not do anymore side jobs in my opinion, as it will not be worth it for you in the end. I collect $8500 a month and I would not do anything to risk losing it that is for sure.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you do odd jobs do them for cash with no records. If your customer starts to complain give them their money back or forget about it. Don't do anything that requires a contract or a permit. Lots of guys cut grass for cash and tell no one. If you are going to work, and report it to IRS and/or SSA you are heading for trouble with the VA over TDIU. That is what I think. Be sure you send in that employment questionnaire every years with proof of mailing at least. I have been on TDIU since 2001. I have not worked, but I have received money from union settlements that I had to report. I explained it and sent them a copy of the settlement to explain the W-2 and the money. I trust them not at all. I do wish that TDIU vets could maybe do some part time work, but if you read the TDIU as Total Disability Due to Individual Unemployability just think about what that means to some VA employee. Total is Total.

John

Philip Rogers, That comment about "Greed" really stung. I am not greedy, I was just trying to benefit my family by trying to get out of debt (which was exerbated by my inability to maintain work because of my PTSD.) earlier .